• Register Today It's free!

Tranny Clanking Noise

dmanduffie

Reaction score
City, State
Cali
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
I searched for this problem and couldn't find anything specific enough so i'm hoping someone will take the time to help me- here it goes. My x has a little over 180k on the motor and i've had no problems in the year since I bought it neither did my brother whom I bought it from except for a transmission sound. When accelerating and suddenly letting off it will make a clanking sound, it does this just about everytime i gas it and let off i'm not sure if it does it while downshifting or not. Also it makes the same loud clanking sound when i'm in park and put it in reverse mostly only when in my driveway at an incline but also sometimes when sitting on flat ground. If someone could please let me know what's going on it will be greatly appreciated. I want to do a 5.0 engine/tranny swap some time in the coming months and want to know if my tranny will last till then bc i'll be moving to San Diego for college and need my X to run untill i can replace everything with a lower milage engine/tranny. Thank You.

Back