Tranny Consideration | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tranny Consideration

ScottXXL

Reaction score
My rebuilt tranny just lost overdrive so I'm looking at another rebuild. What tranny can i up grade to that will be better then my rebuilt CRAPPY stock from Ford? I'm looking at spending around the same $1800-2500. Any suggestions that would fit my 94 explorer V6 with my 5.5 lift? I heard a T-350 or something might be good...i'm not good when it comes to transmissions. An help!!!

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

would a t-350 be Chevy's turbohydromatic 350? that is a good tranny but i doubt it will bolt up to your engine...... just get the a4ld rebuilt with some really good parts... and if you havent already, regear your axles, it will make the tranny's life easier....

Well first off

first of all we need to know a few things about your truck.

Just because you lost overdrive doesnt mean its an automatic.

If it is a 5 speed (my guess) then you are probably talking about upgrading to a t-5 manual from a Mustang. Advanced Adapters sells a very expensive adapter that will allow this tranny to bolt up.

What year is your truck?
What type of transmission do you have? (stick or auto)
What engione do you have (3.0L? 4.0L?)

hes got an a4ld, 4.o l engine and a 1992... some of that is contained in his sgnature... and explorers never had a 3.0

sorry. It's an automatic. 4.0 V6. Every shop is telling me it needs a new rebuiuld costing $2000. I'm not sure weather they are taking it apart or just because i have no overdrive. After sitting over night, it dosen't want to get out of first until I drive the car around for a couple of minutes. Then it shifts fine. Plenty of torque, just now overdrive. This rebulid should have lasted much longer then 40,000 miles. If I'm getting a another rebuild, I want a better one.

Back