• Register Today It's free!

Tranny cooler bypass??

Myexplorjj

Reaction score
City, State
Mass
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 explorer sport
Yet another tranny cooler line is leaking I think from in front of the the radiator? Can or is there a way to re-route the tranny cooler lines? My explorer has a stock tranny cooler I guess it's for the towing package... I don't tow. I think it's possible I'm just weary about a possible higher pressure tranny line on the upper drivers side of the radiator. Any help is appreciated (winter is here just need to make it to spring).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Heat being a detriment to automatic transmission lifespan, I don't recommend what you are proposing. The lines in front are rubber (on my '97 at least), why not just replace them with new transmission cooler hose? Just a thought. Best wishes

Doc

where is it leaking from, a fitting or just rusted away line? You can cut out the bad section of line and replace it with rubber transmission cooler line.

I was going to replace all 3 lines on my 98 SOHC but couldn't get to the tranny fitting on the third one so for that one I cut out the bad section of the old one and replaced it with rubber transmission line hose.

If it is a large section then i would recommend replacing it all if possible or buying the new metal line and just spicing out the bad section with a new piece cut from the new line and use the rubber tranny cooling line to jumper it in.

how Would you get to the lines? Searched around and all the pics I see have the bumper removed (not ideal for me).

where is it leaking from, a fitting or just rusted away line? You can cut out the bad section of line and replace it with rubber transmission cooler line.

I was going to replace all 3 lines on my 98 SOHC but couldn't get to the tranny fitting on the third one so for that one I cut out the bad section of the old one and replaced it with rubber transmission line hose.

If it is a large section then i would recommend replacing it all if possible or buying the new metal line and just spicing out the bad section with a new piece cut from the new line and use the rubber tranny cooling line to jumper it in.

This is what I did on my 96. The one line is not available anywhere so I used rubber trans line.

how Would you get to the lines? Searched around and all the pics I see have the bumper removed (not ideal for me).

Removing the bumper is really really easy unless you have a brush guard on your truck then it's a bit more involved. Bumper is literally 4 nuts.

Back