• Register Today It's free!

tranny/engine leaking/hole...

kotarr

Reaction score
City, State
pielover48@gmail.com
Year, Model & Trim Level
pielover48@gmail.com
:rangergreen:I am a proud owner of a 91 exploder with a manual tranny and the 4.0 v6, nicknamed thumper, due to the bad lifter and my stereo system. I absolutely love it. Anyway, now to the pont, my engine started leaking oil, right at the bell housing? I know my way around the top part but not the bottom,. Its leaking oil where the tranny is meeting the engine. Normally I would be like, ok, so, its leaking oil. But there's something different. Right there where it meets, is a hole about 2 inches long by about .5 inch wide, Ican see my flywheel, (I think) right through it. Ima upload a picture along with this. I don't know how much tranny fluid I have,. Sadly I think it might be time to sell good ole thumper...
I would like to know if that hole is normally supposed to be there, or if something went catastrofically wrong.

Ps, it shifts smoothly, and if someone tells me how to upload a photo, I will.

Welcome to the forum!

Uploading photos directly to the board isn't possible without an Elite Explorer membership, but you can upload them to an image hosting service like Photobucket and link to that.

If your shift is smooth, don't freak out. Leaking bore plugs are a common issue with the 5-speed and are not too hard to fix, if that's the issue. If not it may be as simple as a case seal or something like that. As for the hole, I would suggest taking a look under another 5-speed Explorer or Ranger like at a junkyard and comparing them. Also if the edges of the hole are smooth, it's probably meant to be that way :)

To check your trans fluid level there is a fill plug on the side of the trans. Unbolt that plug and reach in there; you want it filled to the level of the plug. You can always keep topping it off till you get the leak fixed.

I can't see a leak as being a reason to sell a truck. :)

Back