Tranny fails to engage into any gear after startup | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tranny fails to engage into any gear after startup

jeremyd92

Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage, AK
Year, Model & Trim Level
ford explorer
i have a 1992 ford explorer with an a4ld transmission, and starting a couple months ago, i have had to wait about 5 minutes after a cold or a warm startup to get any gear to engage R,OD,D,2,1 when shifted. It will also fail to engage if i go from D to OD or OD to D while driving sometimes. It feels like it wants to move when i rev it up but it doesn't. I have looked at the vacuum lines and they are good. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First the basics. Just went through a similar issue.

1. Check the level and condition of the tranny fluid. Ideally it should be a cherry, pinkish red.
2. Check the vacuum going to the transmission modulator. Search this site for procedure on how to access the modulator. This was my issue. The vacuum line had somehow disconnected from the modulator.
3. When was the last time the transmission filter changed?

From what you have told me, I'd probably go the inexpensive route first. Change the transmission filter, flush the fluid and replace the modulator. Search this site for "flushing" tranny fluid. Flushing the fluid ensures that the converter is voided of fluid as well.

See where this gets you. Hope this helps...........

i have a 1992 ford explorer with an a4ld transmission, and starting a couple months ago, i have had to wait about 5 minutes after a cold or a warm startup to get any gear to engage

As Ramblinwilly said, check transmission fluid level. That's exactly what happens to my '92 XLT with A4LD when the level drops (yes I have mysterious disappearance of fluid syndrom, aka leak).

Same thing started happening to mine just recently, except it would shift into R. I replaced my Vacuum Modulator and didn't change anything. I'm pretty sure it would be the Governor, which is located in the extension housing. Transfer case needs to be removed to get to it. I didn't change mine yet. I was going to try a flush and switch to Mobil One synthetic and also an additive call Lubegard, supposed to free everything up.

Yeah samething happened to me i replaced the vacuum modulator and not much has changed. Can you let me know how it does after you replace the governor. Thanks

Back