• Register Today It's free!

Tranny Fire....

SBJ420

Reaction score
City, State
Windsor NS
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
So today I went out wheelin, got caught in a unexpeted mud hole, the front of the truck was deep in mud, at least to the front bumper.. I got a winch out, while I was being winched out I was in reverse we barly any gas, than it over heated and there was a small fire under the front seats between the engine and tranny, but on top..... after I let it cool down it dripped fluid the whole way home, took 2 extra qts to do 100km. THis is a 1994 4 door xlt. Auto, on 33's
NEW TRANNY 3 months ago!!!! Now if this blew out the seal why would there be a fire on top of the tranny? Is there a tranny line on top that may have been melted from the fire?
Or just a blown up seal? if I need to change this how hard is it going to be to get too?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a manual and don't know what lines run along the top of the auto tranny. . .
But I would drop the tranny and look on-top to see what damage has been done. If you were at an extreme angle in the mud hole then then tranny might not have been putting fluid in the right places. Thant's why auto's will just rev without giving any power to the wheels if they are on a steep incline. And that can burn some stuff up fast in the auto.

When you blow a seal you will know. Trust me. No driving home after the seal blows.

What you have done is over worked the tranny and it just simply got to hot. It was on top of the tranny because some of the AL4D's have the breather tube on top and when it over heats it blows fluid out of the breather. Most likely hit the exhaust and make a little fire.

Will your tranny be ok. Not sure man. I did that to my orginal and it did the exact same as you described but without the fire. Three months later. I needed a new one.

If you are only worried about the wiring and the tube on top save yourself some time. Peal your carpet back in the front and under the spot where a manual shifter would be there is a access pannel. Remove it and look.

If you are only worried about the wiring and the tube on top save yourself some time. Peal your carpet back in the front and under the spot where a manual shifter would be there is a access pannel. Remove it and look.

ok well I started it up today and its still leaking.. its not a huge leak but bad enough not to drive... I took it around the block and it shifts fine and does not slip at all..... I am going to check the top of the tranny, through the floor... but it does seem to be coming from between the engine and tranny, and only really leaks when its running

pulled back the cover, and everything is fine there... its deffently coming from between the tranny and the engine. any ideas what it could be?

If you are sure its coming between the tranny and the engine then you have a front pump seal blown. When mine went you couldnt drive it at all.

However i feel if you keep replacing the seals you will keep blowing them. There is a way to cure this but you have to have the bell housing turned and a sleve put in for the seal to seat right again. Not sure that you will have to do this.

If you are sure its coming between the tranny and the engine then you have a front pump seal blown. When mine went you couldnt drive it at all.

However i feel if you keep replacing the seals you will keep blowing them. There is a way to cure this but you have to have the bell housing turned and a sleve put in for the seal to seat right again. Not sure that you will have to do this.

how hard is it really to drop down and change these seals?
:thumbdwn:

Back