• Register Today It's free!

Tranny Fluid Change 98 5.0 AWD

rtbrjason

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 5.0 EB AWD
I was looking into replacing all my tranny fluid with Mobil 1. I was a bit concerned about getting the fluid out of the torque converter, but it seems the converter has it's own drain plug.

If I drain the tranny fluid, and then drain the converter via that plug, will I be getting pretty much all of the old fluid out?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Glacier is lost for words here. I'll try to elaborate:

Your method described should be very adequate. Any residual fluid left should be minimal; the thought is that any minute amounts of residual fluid would be diluted so are essentially of no concern. I prefer synthetic replacement fluid.

Could not have said it better myself. Also disconnect the cooler lines and blow all the fluid out of them and the cooler(s).

I'd also recommend changing the transmission filter. Cheap insurance, they are about $30. I got mine at NAPA.

Seems fine if the dipstick says Mercon. If it says MerconV 5, I would research a little further.

In doing my research on the 4R70W Bebuild Diary, I ran across an excellent thread in the Thunderbird Forum on the new (www.Tccoa.com) where a Ford Engineer named Jerry recommends going ahead and using Merc V in the 4R70W regardless.

Having done my research I believe what he has to say. He is the higher authority.

Better yet is full synthetic.

I have been using Amsoil since new for all my fluids in my 1996 V8 AWD Limited. Costs a little more but worth it.

Back