• Register Today It's free!

Tranny fluid change question

kc97xlt

Reaction score
City, State
KCMO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT 4X4
I have done a lot of reading here about changing the transmission fluid and the more I read, the more reluctant I am to make a decision. I have a 1997 4.0L 4WD with auto transmission that I bought used at 135,000 miles. No previous maintenance records for the vehicle. There are currently close to 150,000 on the vehicle and no problems with the transmission. I don't know if I should just let it go or do a filter and fluid change. Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You will get a mix of answers. People who say "change it now" and others who will say "if it ain't broke don't fix it, that a change now will cause problems". I feel it could go either way. How does your fluid look?

My dad had the tranny flushed, and filter changed at 140k on his bravada, and 5k miles its still working fine, but that being said we have kept up with fluid changes.

Most people are againist flushes though...

I don't know if I should just let it go or do a filter and fluid change. Any suggestions?
i would. you are not going to hurt nothing by just dropping the pan and changing the filter (and the 3-4qts of fluid inside it).. however, i would Not do a "Flush" w/high miles on the trans, i just dont trust it.. i would never hesitate to just drop the pan, change the filter and top her off tho.

i have 222k miles on my original 5r55e and i just dropped my pan for the second time since ownership for a filter change 2 days ago.

just my 0.02 tho:cool:

Thanks guys. Probably just going to drop the pan and change what fluid I can that way. Might even put in a drain plug and the change the fluid out little by little with every oil change for a while.

Since you don't have any service records I would drop the pan and change the filter. A dirty filter can cause problems, I know that from experience. If your fluid is red and doesn't smell burned you should be fine. It will take 5 qts to fill after replacing the pan. Add the last quart a little at a time and check it. You don't want to over fill it.

tranny fluid and filter change questions

I have a 92 Ford Ranger that has almost 200,000 miles on it. Just over the weekend, I changed the fluid and the filter & gasket. Aside from not filling it back up with enough fluid, and freaking out because it would not engage in any of the gears, which I was informed by some people at this forum and it was an easy fix, my tranny seems to be shifting much smoother. The fluid that came out of it was black so I think a good change of fluid was in order.

Back