Tranny fluid in my extension housing! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tranny fluid in my extension housing!

rizzjc

Scubajoe - Radio Mod
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Garner, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 F150
Callsign
N1LVN
Well, I got my transfer case off, hoping that the tranny fuild was leaking from there into the extension housing. Doesn't look that way. The whole bottom of the extension housing is filled with tranny fluid. I am assuming this is not supposed to be. I figured I'd better find out before I put the new tcase on. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It comes from the transmission, it is supossed to be in there, dont worry about it.
When you fill the tranmission it will get more/new fluid

OK, you guys are the experts, so I'm putting in the new transfer case and moving on. I guess if I look at the housing, or drawings closer I'll see that there is some way that the fluid flows back into the tranny. If it only goes one way, then it would fill up! I'm paranoid 'cause every seal on my truck is starting to leak. After this it'll only be a matter of time before I have to do all 3 front axle seals.

Thanks for verifying the fluid that's in there.

Its fine. On a 2WD drive transmission that area has fluid also, hence the rear seal on them.

Thanks. If I can handle the tcase myself, then it is going back in tonight.

Tcase is back in, and I'm on the road again! I've been more of a car maintenance DIYer up 'til now. This was a pretty big job for me, but appears to have been worth it. It's nice not to hear the "clink clink" of the chain anymore.

Good deal! Now your a pro. :)

Well, I don't know about that. I've got photos I'll have to post sometime. It was also my first go at an RTV gasket. So far, so good. <g> I've always been of the mentality that if I can get a gasket for a couple bucks, then it's way easier than making my own!

Make sure you check the torque on all those bolts again after 500 miles or so. T case, trans mount, etc..

Will do, thanks. Of course, it's tough to torque the tcase to extension housing bolts. There is no way to get a torque wrench on all of them. I torqued those that I could with the torque wrench. The rest were "torqued" by hand.

oh sorry, I do pretty much every bolt on the truck by hand these days, so dont worry about it, its jsut an expression. Just make sure they are still tight.
:)

Yeah, I wanted a torque wrench, so I waited until I could find a half inch, dial torque wrench at Sears. I bought it. It's big. Then I realized that torque isn't all about being REALLY tight, so I find the moster torque wrench I have does not fit into a lot of places! <g> 'Course, even a smaller one wouldn't help much on some of these bolts.

Back