• Register Today It's free!

tranny fluid in the TB/intake

andyp_4.0

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Worth, Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 4.0 aerostar
While working on the TB recently I noticed what looks like transmission fluid on the inside of the TB and intake.
I have done some searching and reading but have not come across anything yet to give me answers to its origin,and fix.
Why do I have red fluid, seems like tranny fluid, on the inside of the TB/intake?

I have been adding tranny fluid once a week to keep the level ok.

Still a mystery to me.
Andy P. 93 aerostar 4.0

P.S. I have not been running any additives in the gas.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The only way ATF can get into the intake is via the vacuum modulator. Check the vacuum pipe and see. Are the gears changing ok?

Yes its shifting fine, unless I let the fluid level get to low.
Cold starts in the morning are when things don't work quite right. I should mention that I have 173,000 miles on the original tranny.
I will have to check into the modulator and where it enters the intake. might be time for a replacement.
Thanks
Andy P 93 aero

I don't think there is any other way ATF can get into the intake and that would explain the fluid loss. (your burning it!). All the best.

I just printed the procedures for replacing the vacuum modulator. It helps sometimes to know what words or phrases to search for. After reading many posts about the modulator, this sounds just like the cure I'm looking for. I have been experiencing alot of pinging and some smoke out the tail pipe. The tranny would also search back and forth between OD and D.
For twenty bucks its worth the try.
Thanks again
Andy P. 93 aero

red ATF like fluid in the intake could be from an over oiled filter (KKM or K&N)

Doubt that is your problem but it cant hurt to post......

If I was you I would pull the vacuum line that goes to the vacujm tree from the tranny and check it out for ATF.
If ATF is there = either you overfill tranny or modulator is bad

I still have the stock air filter but not for long. I have due tommorrow a cold air intake. I planned on putting that on this weekend, now I just have a little more to do.

It is a possability that I have overfilled the tranny on more than one occasion. Keep in mind that I'm using approx. 1/2 quart of fluid per week, about 300 miles.
with no apparent leak on the ground or on the transmission.
Getting to the hose fittings on my mini van(aerostar 4.0) is a PITA. There overdue for replacement anyways.

Andy P 93 aero

Andy your A4LD is on it;s way out most likely. The vacuum modulator is bad if it is sucking down that much fluid per week...............

Modulator needs to be replaced. First I would get under there and make sure there are no leaks at the vacuum line or vent tube........

Vent tube looks fine last time I was under there.
Which was last weekend for an oil change.
I replaced the transmision filter and fluids about a year ago. While I had the cover off the tranny I put a drain **** on there and then changed the fluid three weekends in a row. shifting between 1,2 and D is fine, it just hunts once and awhile for OD.

I'm sure I am on borrowed time with this Transmision.
I will let you know how the modulator works out.
Andy P 93 aero

Thank you for the help. New modulator is in and the van never shifted this good. I was able to replace it without lowering the exhaust, very tight fit, from a combination of above the tranny and below the tranny.

cleaned the maf, q-tip and alchol, added cold air intake,bored out the maf: from 55mm to 59mm, and then pulled the wires from the battery and reset the ecu.
Running great but this tank of gas is 93 octane. I will try and return to 87 octane next tank.

Next project is the muffler. Stock muffler has a hole in it the size of a dime. I'm only planning on welding in a new muffler. I hope to find a flowmaster 50 delta series.
I'm hoping for a small increase in sound over the stock.

Andy P. 93 4.0 Aero

Back