• Register Today It's free!

Tranny fluid LEAK

eblolson

Reaction score
City, State
Mount Vernon, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT
i have a 91xlt, AT, 4x4, with 142000 miles, have had it for 2 months and when i parked it the other day and went back out later a huge puddle of tranny fluid lay underneath. appears to have come from the front seal where the tranny meats the engine. is this just a seal?... more? had been feeling a little slipping or not real positive reaction from the tranny the last few weeks. dont know if this is related but the thing gets only 12-13 mpg freeway/town mix. thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know exactly what the problem is, but I think you should take your Ex to a transmission shop ASAP. It will probably result in a very costly repair if you leave it as is.

Is it a 5 sp? If it is this relates.

I have 230,000 miles on my Navajo and its on the 3rd tranny. The first signs of a problem were leaks exactly as you exlpained. Get it to a shop ASAP, if its not too late already. They tend to go away fast. The good news (if there is such a thing in this situation) is that a new one costs only $1200 and their are not too hard to change.

If its an auto, Im not sure. I do know a new auto is $3600.

(Prices are quotes from my last replacement in '99 in Raleigh from the Mazda dealer)

its an automatic

its an auto and i havent driven it since. im probably going to drop the tranny and look at the seal

tranny

I had a similar problem back in august. I started noticing little leaks at first and over about a month it would get more and more. i tried using a leak selaer thinking it was one of the many unnecessary rubber seals inside the auto. then one day it was like someone had turned on the faucet underneath i didnt think it would ever stop. Only then did I take it to AAMCO. My worst fears had come true. I thought it had been my front main seal in the bell housing but what AAMCO told was the pump inside had gone bad. without that the tranni kept overheating and overheating again and again and again, burning everything up and grinding parts. ended up having to rebuild the tranni and threw in a new torque converter while at it. total cost...$2543.76. My best advise...get it looked at NOW!!!!!!!!!!!..dont drive it there either..if you got insurance or AAA that can tow..do it. hopefully this isnt your problem. Since then i have installed a temp gauge for the tranni...just in case. post what was wrong when ya get it looked at..curious to know how many others this is happened too.

It is either your front seal or torque converter. You may have also busted your torque converter and it will leak like hell. As far as the pump going out, I don't think so. A transmission doesn't leak because the pump went out.

yea..i know, thats what youd think...but what they told me was because the pump went and it kept overheating, it busted up my seals they wore out due to excessive heat, thats what caused the leaking

Oh ok makes sense. I overlooked the overheating part. Sorry.

Last year, in the middle of nowhere, my tranny started spitting out the fluid like you described. Of course I didn't notice the cloud of blue smoke following me down the highway.

The damage was done... but the final post-mortem revealed that the transmission cooler that is part of the radiator was so full of gunk that he couldn't blow through the lines with 120psi of compressed air. The seal on the left front of the tranny blew because of the heat build-up.

All of the main parts in the tranny including the TC had turned blue from the heat.

...of course the guy gave me a discount because this was the second time he rebuilt my favorite A4LD (automatic-device 4 losing dollars) :shoot:

Don't let them just change out the seal without checking the cooler... it will just happen again if it is clogged.

p.s. If you are towing a trailer when the above situation happens, you can take the two hog traps, stack them on top of each other (better done without hogs in them) and then climb to the top to make a rather effective cellular tower. :bounce:

...here is the original thread that had everyone else's ideas http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=22187

yeeeeuuuup...the blueing of the over heated parts sounds like about what mine looked like. I was there when they pulled the pan off and there was about a quater inch of metal dust sittin on the bottom of the pan too. you know...the first time i had started to notice a leak was the day after i had the fluid "flushed" you know how they tap into the cooler lines and just blow new stuff through there. no cahngin of filter and ya dont even get the good gunkl off the bottom of the pan....Im wondering if the flushing of hte fluid instead of hte old good way of pulling off the pan had anything to do with it.

I can't prove it or Jiffy Lube would have been paying the bill. Of course they can't prove that they have ever really lubed any of my zerks, so I don't know why I had the burden of proof...

I will not ever get another pump through ATF change in any of my vehicles.

I will never get another A4LD transmission.

I will brush my teeth before I go to bed.

I won't snore tonight, honest.

I will not ever get another pump through ATF change in any of my vehicles.

I hate to go off on a tangent, but....
I will never! take any of my vehicles to any "quick lube" (job) places ever again!

For the first 130,000 miles I took my truck to those places, mostly Jiffy Lube. I was happy and dumb for a long time, until I changed my 2nd tranny. When I pulled it and the t-case I found that the inspection plug had never been taken out of the t-case. I have all the service records on the truck and I paid for the "total" service 3 times. This service was to include changing the fluid in both diffs, the tranny and the t-case. Need I say more. I sent letters to all three companies and stores. I recieved letters back stating that all the stores are franchise and nothing back from the stores themselves.:shoot:

The A4LD trannies do not like any kind of heat build up
and must be serviced at fairly short intervals. My '92 sees a lot of soft sand running on the beach for surf fishing and the combination of slow speed and a suck egg clutch fan di d it in and it pewked it's liquid guts on the beach. I installed an electric cooling fan for a 5.0
Mustang that has a variable set point control, along with a new pump seal and it's behaved ever since.

Back