Tranny fluid leaking from bell housing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tranny fluid leaking from bell housing

ponkotsu

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Lincoln Aviator
Okay, after the crook rebuilt my tranny it's been kind of noisy, either pump or torque converter. Now I seem to have a pretty good leak coming from the bellhousing area. Can't afford to pay $2500 to get it rebuilt again. This looks bad enough that I doubt it will go very long.

I've heard you need some special tools and pullers to replace the pump. Anyone done this before? I'm guessing the tranny has to be completely pulled out to work on it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From what you're describing, it sounds like the torque converter wasn't fully seated when it was installed.

It will not bolt-up or turn-over if that was the case. It is possible that it was overfilled, and this is just extra fluid coming out of the vent that goes into the top of the bellhousing. Check to see if the leak is originating from the top/center of the front of the transmission. The fluid can foam, making a little bit look like a lot.

It was over filled, but I took it to another shop and they let out at least an extra quart. Stopped leaking for a couple weeks now its come back big time. They also forgot to put the breather hose on the transfer case so that could reinstalled by the other shop. Hmmm, maybe it fell off again?

nah no real special tools. my crawford county missouri way of pulling the pump was to get a couple two or three grade 5 bolts that were about the same size of the pump holes themselves and screwed them in where the threads on the screws cut into the pump housing. from that point you can pull on the bolt heads to disengage it from the housing of the transmission. pay close attention to the pump seal and the seals behind it as well as where the pump seal sits in the transmission housing. any nicks to the housing or the seal itself will cause a leak. i got screwed by Hawthorne ford in NC because they didn't put a new pump seal in on a supposed "rebuild". also check your converter seal for tears also

nah no real special tools. my crawford county missouri way of pulling the pump was to get a couple two or three grade 5 bolts that were about the same size of the pump holes themselves and screwed them in where the threads on the screws cut into the pump housing. from that point you can pull on the bolt heads to disengage it from the housing of the transmission. pay close attention to the pump seal and the seals behind it as well as where the pump seal sits in the transmission housing. any nicks to the housing or the seal itself will cause a leak. i got screwed by Hawthorne ford in NC because they didn't put a new pump seal in on a supposed "rebuild". also check your converter seal for tears also

Thanks. I think same thing happened here. Transmission went to hell after a rebuild. (Torque converter I think). So they pulled it all apart again to check it out. I bet they reused all the same seals and gaskets because he is an IDIOT.

Not looking forward to this job, but I'm afraid it won't make it through winter. I'd rather lay on my back on a warm garage floor than a cold one.

Back