• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Tranny fluid question

edwx

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer XLT
My owners manual on my '06 X xls 4.0L (5R55S) calls for MERCON atf, not MERCON V. Is this correct? It seems that all I hear about is MERCON V. I'm only asking because typo's do occur. My '03 X did use the MERCON V. I used synthetic in the transfer case, but I'm thinking about doing the tranny fluid change and want to be sure what kind to use.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

ZO6_Vette

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 EB
The manual clearly states that Mercon V is required for the 5R55S

edwx

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer XLT
You are correct? I re-checked the manual and it's definitely MERCON V for the 5R55S. I must have been looking at the transfer case or power steering specs. Sorry 'bout that. I'm assuming I can mix A full synthetic atf fluid with MERCON V, right?

Bill MacLeod

Reaction score
City, State
Hamilton, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Ltd V-8
You are correct? I re-checked the manual and it's definitely MERCON V for the 5R55S. I must have been looking at the transfer case or power steering specs. Sorry 'bout that. I'm assuming I can mix A full synthetic atf fluid with MERCON V, right?[/QUOTE]

Make sure the synthetic is rated for Mercon V. Especially if your trans is still under warranty.

edwx

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer XLT
I will , thanks.