• Register Today It's free!

Tranny fluid question

edwx

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer XLT
My owners manual on my '06 X xls 4.0L (5R55S) calls for MERCON atf, not MERCON V. Is this correct? It seems that all I hear about is MERCON V. I'm only asking because typo's do occur. My '03 X did use the MERCON V. I used synthetic in the transfer case, but I'm thinking about doing the tranny fluid change and want to be sure what kind to use.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The manual clearly states that Mercon V is required for the 5R55S

You are correct? I re-checked the manual and it's definitely MERCON V for the 5R55S. I must have been looking at the transfer case or power steering specs. Sorry 'bout that. I'm assuming I can mix A full synthetic atf fluid with MERCON V, right?

You are correct? I re-checked the manual and it's definitely MERCON V for the 5R55S. I must have been looking at the transfer case or power steering specs. Sorry 'bout that. I'm assuming I can mix A full synthetic atf fluid with MERCON V, right?[/QUOTE]

Make sure the synthetic is rated for Mercon V. Especially if your trans is still under warranty.

I will , thanks.

Back