tranny help please

biggs92EB

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Biggs, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Special Eddie
Hi all, im bad at searching, i tried swear! Ok i bought my lady a 95 explorer 4.0 4wd.....got a good deal so i thought, but all of a sudden after 100 miles the tranny fluid looks like used motor oil, so im assuming the tranny is on its way out, so i called around, and every dang tranny shop tries to tell me is has 3 possible transmissions...from what i gather it only came with the 4R55E? Am i correct? also where to get a cheap one? They want 2300$ at the cheapest place!!! shoot i only paid 500 for the truck! THanks in advance, James

oh yeah the trans still works perfect though, should i have the thing flushed? I did that on my A4LD and it blew up a week later, so im scared of that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thanks! Alright i'll give it a go.....i was gonna just get rid of it, but then id be sleeping on the couch lol

It's a good idea to check the valve body gaskets for signs of flaking, and the valve body bolts to see if they are loose. There is a bracket holding the solenoids that sometimes develops a crack. There is an updated bracket for this. The 5R55E valve body rebuild diary has more information.

Ok I'll tackle this this weekend and inspect everything...I appreciate your time. James

Back