• Register Today It's free!

tranny interchange

emo666

Reaction score
City, State
Laporte,Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
1989 Ranger 4X4
I acquired an engine to rebuild (done)--along with it came a 1986 A4LD in a basket with new parts and gaskets to rebuild. I acquired the engine to put in my 1989 bronco II ---will the transmission from a 1986 bronco go in plug and play. I would like to install it with the rebuilt engine which was also a 1986--but I'm only using the short block. I've read that the trannys are different but cannot find exactly why??? There is no tag on the 86 A4LD butt this is a stamped on the tail shaft housing P-86GT-7006-1-6069D F2. I can't see the tag on the tranny in the 1989 bronco but with a mirror I see on the tail shaft stamped P-86Gt-7006-1-6069D F6 Can I go ahead and rebuild the 86 and install with the the engine?? If not the tranny is good In there now but leaks. I know this forum is for later models but maybe someone might be old like me and remember the facts.

It seems that the main difference between the '85-~'87 A4LD's and the later A4LD's is the number of solenoids. The early A4LD's used one solenoid to control the torque converter lock-up clutch. 3-4 shift was vacuum controlled. Later A4LD's added a second solenoid so that both TCC lockup and 3-4 shift are electronically controlled. With an '89 PCM, the main problem you will have is configuring the 3 prong connector at the transmission to "fit" into the 2 prong socket on the transmission. You will have a perpetual 3-4 shift solenoid code in the computer, since there will no longer be a 3-4 shift solenoid.

Back