• Register Today It's free!

Tranny issue in 04

Joscibo

Reaction score
City, State
Central Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer
My 04 is struggling with RPM surge when approaching and climbing a hill at hwy speeds. I was told it could be a servo bore? I have changed the tranny fluid and filter and it still does it! The fluid was clean and hardly any debris on the magnet when pulling the pan. Can a tranny shop figure it out by hooking it to the computer? It feels like its struggling with torque converter lock up. The tranny had a tag on the torque converter dated for April of 2010 for warranty. It may be a torque converter that was replaced or maybe the whole tranny was rebuilt I'm not sure. I bought this with a bad engine and have now fixed that and I am addressing this and a few other issues with it as my daily driver. Open to suggestions with ideas to cure it. I have a parts vehicle with a good tranny just hoping to use this one if it is at all possible.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tonight I just tripped the first code since transplanting the 07 Mustang 4.0 engine. It has a P1717 shift Solenoid D Inductive Signature code. Is this my problem with surging while climbing a hill? What is this code?

Solenoid pack in the trans is bad. The code you have means mechanical failure in Solenoid pack itself. It is stuck on so there will be no engine braking in manual gears. Swap out the
Solenoid pack with a NEW unit and you should be all set.

Solenoid pack in the trans is bad. The code you have means mechanical failure in Solenoid pack itself. It is stuck on so there will be no engine braking in manual gears. Swap out the
Solenoid pack with a NEW unit and you should be all set.

Where is the best place to get the pack and what kind of money will it cost? Just looking for a general idea?

If you go to your local dealer they want about $420 for them. I get for about $277 from
http://www.tousleyfordparts.com

part #9L2Z7G391A

Thanks you have been a great help. I was getting ready to put the tranny in from my parts vehicle. Now instead I will put an engine in the parts vehicle to fix and sell it.

Just a quick note, I bought my 04 explorer new from Tousley Ford. Their internet pricing is better then other ford dealers in the area. They were bought out a few years back by Auto Nation and just recently changed it from Tousley to Auto Nation.

If you go to your local dealer they want about $420 for them. I get for about $277 from
http://www.tousleyfordparts.com

part #9L2Z7G391A

How hard is to swap them out? I am not a tranny expert but am somewhat capable of stuff likes this. I did the fluid & filter change without a lick of trouble on this already. Is it a straight forward bolt and unbolt with torque specs?

It is easy to do. Here is a write up that can help you.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164055&highlight=solenoid+pack

Also make sure you disconnect the battery while doing the swap.

Would you recommend using the pack out of my 04 parts tranny to verify this will fix it and replacing the pack in that one if it does work? I'm not second guessing you I see others say that they still have trouble with after thee switch. Maybe they didn't throw my actual code or didn't diagnose it correctly?

How did you get the fluid back in the tranny?
A mechanic told me that he dosn't have the nozzel to fit in the fill/ check level hole on the tranny.

How did you get the fluid back in the tranny?
A mechanic told me that he dosn't have the nozzel to fit in the fill/ check level hole on the tranny.

Assuming you have the pan already taken off and filter changed this is reverse order for filling the pan. The vehicle should be jacked up in the front and back so its level. You then take the center pipe thread plug out of the pan. With a fluid pump you add fluid in until it starts to come back out the pumped in line. There is a pipe stand inside the pan that sets the level for the fluid. You have the truck in park and idling and from time to time you cycle through the gears. You then run the truck with center plug out with the pump line still connected but the line pinched off. Then if any drains back or if you can add until some does you have just reached the full level. There are several write ups on here that have more detail. 1/4 NPT is the size of the center plug. It is pretty easy to do this. I bought a clear hose at hardware store and hooked it to my 5 gallon pail of Schaeffer Trans fluid with a pump hooked to the 1/4 NPT fitting in the pan and the rest is history. A pump of some sort is definitely needed.

i had mt 2003 xlt v6 since new and had to replace that shift solenoid twice so far...
hope thats not your problem . it was a 700.00 fix both times.

i had mt 2003 xlt v6 since new and had to replace that shift solenoid twice so far...

Gideon01, what were the symptoms of your solenoid pack going out? My "O/D off" light on my '02 Mountie (176k miles) started rapidly flashing yesterday, only about a week after I changed the fluid and filter myself (due to the shifts seeming a little harsh).

Also, I saw an older post here on this site a few minutes ago where someone got an aftermarket solenoid pack for about $140. When changing the filter, once I got the pan off, a few more bolts and the solenoid pack would've been off. Most cumbersome part was refilling the tranny.

BTW, I refilled mine by removing the rear speed sensor from the top of the tranny and filling through that hole using a hand pump that attaches to the top of the fluid bottle. That way, I just did an initial fill with engine off until fluid came out the drain hole. Then, I put the fill plug back in and added more until I had put a total of about half a quart more than what I drained out. I then fired the engine up and let it warm up about 10 minutes, went thru the gears, then opened the fill plug and let it flow out until a needle size stream came out.

$700?? I am guessing you had labor to pay on that? Chopperb said its $277 or a little more at Tousley Ford? I'm getting ready to do mine hopefully it's as easy as described. I'm getting most of the bugs out. Ironic my Check Engine light came on with this problem shortly after I did my fluid and filter only a few weeks!!

Ordered the solenoid pack from Tousley Ford. Thanks Chopper $275 plus shipping. Putting it in next week.

Got this done today! The forum wins a battle again for this DYS guy. This truck is a classic example of the things that go wrong with Generation 3's! Tranny, tranny solenoid pack, Engine blend door, wheel bearings, rear brake calipers and rear struts! It's all been done I'm thinking its hard to sell a project that has been refurbished!

Hi everyone, I am having the same issue with my 2004 4.0. I ordered the solenoid however I think I got the wrong one after looking into it more. I ordered 1L2Z7G391AG it said for the 4.0 but upon looking further it appears to only list the compatible vehicles up until 03. Did they change the design in 04? Thanks for the help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back