• Register Today It's free!

tranny issues? 00 5.0

pbnj22

Reaction score
City, State
duluth minnesnowta
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 xlt 5. v8 awd
00 5.0 awd with 130 on it. bought at 100k and trans fluid looked and smelt clean so never flushed it and still havnt. it is still full and red in color with no burnt smell

lately over the last few days my truck has been driving like a snowmobile!
from a dead stop or coasting at idle speed when i get on the gas it seems to wait until i rev up to like 3 grand before it goes anywhere and kinda slams me into gear. it doesn't seem to matter if i take off slowly or aggressively. every other gear shifts perfectly smooth and without any slippage.

is it my tranny? should i have my tranny flushed? though im against getting it done at one of those places that uses air pressure to flush it but with my mechanical ability it might be my only option.

any help!?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

its a good place to start, then all other tune-ups and maintenance

easy to do, can be messy, drain the torque converter also!!!!!!!!

just rechecked everything again and now i am low on tranny fluid. when hot and in nuetral it barely came up to the dipstick. I will add more and hopefully that fixes this issue. did i do any long term damage by driving it like that for 3 or 4 days? fluid and dipstick did not smell burnt and still looked red and clean.
what trans fluid should i buy to top off?

just rechecked everything again and now i am low on tranny fluid. when hot and in nuetral it barely came up to the dipstick. I will add more and hopefully that fixes this issue. did i do any long term damage by driving it like that for 3 or 4 days? fluid and dipstick did not smell burnt and still looked red and clean.
what trans fluid should i buy to top off?

Mercon V is what's recommended. if just topping off a qt or so, i wouldn't be to concerned about the brand. i'm thinking you prbly didn't hurt anything yet.

when you can, i'd change the trans filter and the 5 or so qts that go into the transmission pan. i need to do the same to my trucks this spring, as i don't know when/if the previous owners did any transmission maint. i intended to do this last summer/fall but i had a pinched nerve in my neck and couldn't manage it. i'm a little afraid to do a complete trans flush on high mileage vehicles, so i'm just doing the 5 qts refresh w/filter. i also plan on adding B&M drain plugs to my pans.

Mercon V is what's recommended. if just topping off a qt or so, i wouldn't be to concerned about the brand. i'm thinking you prbly didn't hurt anything yet.

when you can, i'd change the trans filter and the 5 or so qts that go into the transmission pan. i need to do the same to my trucks this spring, as i don't know when/if the previous owners did any transmission maint. i intended to do this last summer/fall but i had a pinched nerve in my neck and couldn't manage it. i'm a little afraid to do a complete trans flush on high mileage vehicles, so i'm just doing the 5 qts refresh w/filter. i also plan on adding B&M drain plugs to my pans.

yeah i dont like the full tranny flush either.. so basically just drop the pan and replace the 5 qts that is in there? ill probably wait until spring. im not getting under my truck when its around 0 degrees this time a year.

yeah i dont like the full tranny flush either.. so basically just drop the pan and replace the 5 qts that is in there? ill probably wait until spring. im not getting under my truck when its around 0 degrees this time a year.

yes and get a good quality filter (like WIX or Motorcraft). i think i recall reading that the pan holds about 5 qts. i usually check the level before i drain the tranny and then measure how much came out. that way i know exactly how much to put back in. easy-peasy, no guessing.

How would you check the level? by pouring it in a marked container? or using the dipstick?

How would you check the level? by pouring it in a marked container? or using the dipstick?

if 4.5 qts came out, i'd put 4.5 qts back in when done. i'd also check the dipstick to be 100% certain, but i can't be off by much. right?

if 4.5 qts came out, i'd put 4.5 qts back in when done. i'd also check the dipstick to be 100% certain, but i can't be off by much. right?

I get that. but how do you measure how much came out? how would you know 4.5 qts came out? do you have a catch bucket that is marked with 1 qt 2 qt 3 qt etc..?

I get that. but how do you measure how much came out? how would you know 4.5 qts came out? do you have a catch bucket that is marked with 1 qt 2 qt 3 qt etc..?

i just use an old empty 5 qt oil jug (i've always got them laying around) and they have a window along the side, to see the level, with markings for each qt. i guess you could measure it in any number of ways. i just find doing it this way avoids over/under filling.

to top it off i just pour slowly in the dipstick slot and keep checking dipstick? do i do it cold or hot? i know the dipstick has 2 separate sides one for hot one for cold.

to top it off i just pour slowly in the dipstick slot and keep checking dipstick? do i do it cold or hot? i know the dipstick has 2 separate sides one for hot one for cold.

cold or hot. doesn't matter to just add some fluid. always check the level hot, engine running, in PARK after moving the shift lever through all the gears.

note: i don't think the "SAFE" area on the tranny dipstick is a quart. it may only be a pint, so don't overfill.

cold or hot. doesn't matter to just add some fluid. always check the level hot, engine running, in PARK after moving the shift lever through all the gears.

note: i don't think the "SAFE" area on the tranny dipstick is a quart. it may only be a pint, so don't overfill.

okay good to know, because I thought neutral.

okay good to know, because I thought neutral.

i believe the owner's manual says Park or Neutral, but Park is a much safer way to do it.

i believe the owner's manual says Park or Neutral, but Park is a much safer way to do it.

so that would make neutral the more fun way to do it!? with no wheel blocks of course!

topped off a little less than a quart. went through all gears and even over drive rechecked level.. level is good and problem still persists. took it too the car wash and the dude who drove it was in for a surprise when he slammed on the gas and it threw him in gear and chirped the tires.. so now im not sure if i it is tanny related and i need to dig deeper by dropping the pan and checking for metal and stuff or if it is maybe another problem not tranny related at all..

the pan holds 5L est.

the torque converter holds closer to 10L est.

just my .02 but......

IT IS a waste of your time and money to mix 5L of new into 10L of garbage oil!! :roll:

I get that but what I was getting I can check the filter and pan for metal shaving and crap.. And try changing the filter maybe that is clogged and blocking flow of fluid...
And as a I side note the fluid is pretty clean so I doubt it is just because of old fluid..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I get that but what I was getting I can check the filter and pan for metal shaving and crap.. And try changing the filter maybe that is clogged and blocking flow of fluid...
And as a I side note the fluid is pretty clean so I doubt it is just because of old fluid..

in the pan is a small magnet. it's there to trap tiny metal filings that are part of normal wear. you might have a shift solenoid problem. these are electronic valves that put the transmission in gear. i'm no tranny expert, but you might have the one for 1st gear going bad. i've read that on the V6 transmissions it's fairly common for the valve body gasket to blow out, but i've not heard of this being an issue on the V8 trans. if you're pulling the pan you should absolutly change the filter, but i don't know if that has anything to do with your problem. why don't you post on the transmission subforum.

Back