• Register Today It's free!

Tranny issues that need help

Zach Duke

Reaction score
City, State
Charleston, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 xlt
Hi everyone I'm gonna get right to it. I have a 97 explorer xlt that's was just completely worked over e.g. engine, transmission, fuel systems etc. now my problem is that it starts beautifully no missing no loping or any of those other issues that might come with an electrical problem but and here's the but I have no drive I'm reading in the positive on all electrical and fluid areas the engine has no areas of concern but for some reason when I put it into gear and..... nothing... if anyone can help with some causes and checks for this I would really appreciate the input and help ty all and thanks for having a site with some great support

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you checked the auto trans fluid level?
does it go if you manually shift to 1? How about 2? reverse?

What are we dealing with here?, in 97 there are 3 engines, 4.L OHv, 4L SOHC and 5L v8....
You say the 97 was "completely worked over" does this mean they installed a new engine? trans? who did the work? Was it driving before?

Need more information! Help us help you!

Info .......:dunno:

The motor is a 4.0 sohc it was pulled out of another of the same year and was totally running the tranny is a rebuild that was purchased last year ran 8000 miles without a hitch then taken out and I'm the one that did the work and I'm a pretty mechanically inclined guy and can tell when things aren't right everything went together without a hitch but this has got me baffled

As for shifting it does not even engage in 1st at first I thought it was fluid levels those are good I've tripled checked everything and the one thing it DOES do is when the transmission is engaged it boggs down a little then acts like nothing happened it does shake a little but it's nothing exaggerated and then goes away after a minute or two

when you installed the trans to the engine did you stab/seat the converter correctly? The face of the converter should pull forward 3/8" when you install the first converter nut through the fleplate.
I suspect something happened in the front pump of the trans OR you have an issue with the trans filter inside the pan?or a fluid level issue

Back