Tranny leaking fluid after about 30 miles | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tranny leaking fluid after about 30 miles

Retrorocketeer

Reaction score
City, State
Clermont, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Sport Trac;'92 EB Exp
I have a '92 Eddie Bauer 4x4 auto V6 with 140,000 miles. I have had the truck for about 6 years and it has been sitting for the last 4 years. I drive it about once every 3 months or so. The last 2 times I have driven it, the transmission will start leaking after I drive it for about 30 miles (after it gets hot). It leaks from the front of the bell housing. Would a fluid cooler and a fluid change help or am I in need of a tranny? The fluid is brown and I have never changed it or the filter. I have probably put about 40,000 miles on it since I have owned it. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am trying to sell the truck but don't want to sell it with a bad transmission nor do I want to put a new transmission in it since they are not worth much to begin with.

idk if changeing the fluid will help the leak ....front seal has let go .it will have to be dropped and a new seal installed.maybe if you fix the seal and change the fluid / filter it would be able to sell then for more money than a truck with a shot drivetrain.

Back