• Register Today It's free!

tranny lines question

redrockexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 xlt 4x4 4dr
I have 93 explorer, PO removed trans lines from radiator. It is cooled by the aux cooler only. I want to reconnect lines to radiator in series with aux cooler. So are the cooling lines connected to radiator reg flair type fittings?

I am not sure, but I think so. If the steel line looks like a normal flare fitting, then it should be. Ford has in the past made the connection at the radiator an odd item. Ford for many years created a flexible connection there, involving a special fitting and an o-ring type seal. Those were/are very susceptible to leaking, do not duplicate those. They are identified by being relatively long, about 1.5" at the radiator.

The bottom line is that the radiator should have pipe threads in it, I believe that they all are. An adapter is very easy to buy with a flare connection that screws right into the radiator. That's what Ford went back to with the 95+ Explorers. Then you can use typical lines like auto parts stores sell for fuel lines. When you get the flare connections made, and test for leaks, you may need to add an o-ring into the connections if any bad leaks are had. Good luck,

Back