Tranny maintanance ?'s

snocross1985

Explorer-less
Reaction score
City, State
Stratham, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer XLT
I have an automatic tranny in my '94 and i have heard that most of the problems with this tranny can be avoided with the proper maintanance. What have you guys done and how often? I have had my Ex for almost a year now and I have not done anything to it and I doubt the guy before me did either. Thanks for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hmm

Well i know im my 97 with the 5spd automatic the interval for changing the fluid and filter is every 60,000 miles. Now for the 91-94 category i would recommend something shorter somewhere in the span of every 30,000. I never hand any problems with my old 91 Explorer that had 254,000 on its original tranny but i think it is a good thing to do . Drain it and refill it. The kit from Ford comes with a new filter, o rings, and gasket for the pan. It is worth it believe me. Oh and i choose to go with the Motorcraft ATF it has worked fine for me.

After the problems with my first tranny I recommend every 15k, but that is probably a bit overkill. I do know every 30k was not enough.

Have a full transmission flush with new Mercon fluid done. After the flush, you might consider changing the filter more than once because of the amount of gunk that may come out of the tranny. A remote tranny filter will help as well with that problem. Also, an oversized cooler is a must. Heat is the #1 enemy of the auto tranny.

What is required to flush the tranny? I changed my fluid only once but when I drained it, I got less than half out.

The last time I had my tranny serviced, the tech called me to make sure I had changed the fluid before. He told me that if I had never done it before (103k miles), don't. Reason being is that the new fluid's viscosity will be so different than the old, you could develope new leaks on the tranny lines and gaskets.

You could have the dealer use their flush machine, or you can gradually drain fluid from the tranny and replace it yourself. Obviously, this process takes alot longer but is much cheaper. Expect to use 15 quarts or so before the fluid begins to look red.

I left the bottom of the tranny off for about 30 hours and less than 5 quarts drained out. How do you get the other 10 out?

When my mechanic drained mine he dropped the
pan and as well disconnected the rubber hose at
the tranny cooler. I was told that doing this also
drains the torque converter and results in clearing
80-90% of old fluids. He said he lets it drip for around
1/2 hour.

Sid

Originally posted by reichhartkg
I left the bottom of the tranny off for about 30 hours and less than 5 quarts drained out. How do you get the other 10 out?

About how much would it probably cost to get my tranny flushed?

The hose method might work pretty well. But if it doesnt it is because your valve body is holding all the rest of the fluid up on top of it. I know i only got a little fluid out when i dropped my pan but when i loosened and dropped my valve body it was just gushing for a while. Not a good thing to get in your hair either. Unless you want to waterproof your head. lol. Try the tranny cooler way and if that doesnt work then just loosen the valve body bolts and do it that way. But with the tranny cooler way i think you will need to turn the car on a little bit to pump all of it out. Just make sure that the millisecond that the fluid stops coming at a full stream you cut the engine off. Then let it drain the rest of the way for a while. Just make sure to not damage your gasket otherwise you will have to take the VB all the tway off(no big deal) and get another gasket to replace it (big deal if the X is your only car) Hope this helps.

this may sound like a stupid question but...

what do you do w/ the oil you drain out? (this goes for engine oil and tranny oil) ... i can't just dump it in the sink ... i can't just flush it... how do i get rid of the old oil?

I pour it in my least liked neighbors yard. Maybe in their flower pots if i really LIKE them. hehe.

Not sure about other places but Advanced Auto will recycle all auto fluids for free.

Originally posted by rocket 5979
I pour it in my least liked neighbors yard. Maybe in their flower pots if i really LIKE them. hehe.

I really hope you're not serious.

Originally posted by Alec

Me too... at the very least, you should dump it in a tree hugger's garden.

(Since I've noticed that a few people here have had short fuses around here lately, I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that I AM kidding and that I hug trees when I'm not running them over.)

Originally posted by Alec

My GOD Alec of course i am kidding. I only dump it in the baby seal tank at Sea World. :D

Originally posted by rocket 5979
My GOD Alec of course i am kidding. I only dump it in the baby seal tank at Sea World. :D
Makes their coat slick and shiny.:p

After 215K miles of tranny free troubles with consistent pan droppings at each 15K I did a tranny flush (with filter and remote filter) to synthetic and within 3000 miles have had the following:

Real slow starts and shifts in morning
A snapped or damaged OD band
A lugging torque converter
A consistent leak--appears to be front input seal

Do what you wish, but if I could do it over again I would just drop pan, replace filter and whatever ATF to top it off. Every 15K or once a year would be my interval.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back