• Register Today It's free!

tranny overheated???

stillblazed

Reaction score
City, State
california
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 explorer
i was out in the snow the other day in my 91 explorer with a automatic tranny and all off asudden it it starts revin up not goin anywhere so i get out and its dumpin out tranny fluid so the next day my buddy pulled me out of the woods with his bronco to the gas station and i put some tranny fluid in it and its been fine since hasnt dumped out the fluid and it seems all the same, some one was tellin me i could have dirt or something in my tranny lines and it could have made my tranny overheat he said i should take the lines off and clean em out and it should be good but idk what do u guys think??? thanks for your time and help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I doubt it's a problem with dirt in the lines. I have seen this problem while out fourwheeling in tough conditions, they puke their fluid, then go back to normal once cooled down.

You could try to add an external tranny cooler if you plan on working the tranny hard. If you do that it would be a good time to pump some fluid through the lines, just to give you some peace of mind that the lines aren't clogged.

a4ld is know for doing that. it gets hot and the fluid expands and pushes past the front seal. there is an update you can do when and if you rebuild it to relieve some of the pressure up there. put a better cooler on it and run it till it dies for now.

My Bronco did the same thing only i was towing 12,000 lbs of forklift and trailer behind me. not smart i know:rolleyes:

Make sure you put a better cooler on your truck for the trans. A tranmission's worst enemy is heat. A $150 cooler is better than a $2500 rebuild.

so my buddy called me yesterday and said his friend has a 93 explorer for sale runs great,drives smooth ,smogged,clean title ,registered,and the trannys fine(hard to believe)but he only wants $150 bucks i talked to the guy today and the bodys beat up and the rear 3rd member is goin out but im just gonna use it as a parts truck keep the tranny and trade the motor for a acura for my gf, i cant believe he doesnt want more, i just looked on craigslist and someone wanted 2400 just for a motor and tranny

Back