Tranny Problem on rebuilt 2 year old. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tranny Problem on rebuilt 2 year old.

Reaction score
City, State
South Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Limited Ed.
Hello all, I think I have a tranny problem on a 2 year old rebuilt tranny........This morning, I was about to start up my truck to get it inspected, I noticed that I left the key in "ON" position and realized I forgot to turn it off after using the code reader to ensure the truck will pass inspection. So that means the battery was dead, I grab my jumper cables and started it up, let it run to charge up the battery then shifted it to drive to head out to the inspection station....didn't engage, didn't feel the small jolt when the tranny engages. (I am deaf, mind you) so tried the Reverse, nothing....even the 1, 2, 3 gears. ARGH! then after realizing the gears won't engage so i shifted up to Park, there was a grinding feeling that wouldn't stop till I pulled the shifter out of Park. I tried again small grinding happened then finally stopped and I turned off the truck :(........... So fellow Ford drivers, I hope you can help me fix this issue.

After doing research in depth, it looks like my Transfer case is bad. :( I will have to do the job myself, can't afford shop costs now. Any pointers, advice, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Back