• Register Today It's free!

tranny problem

LukeN.

Reaction score
City, State
IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 Mercury Mountaineer
i have a 05 mountaineer awd v6. when I shift from P to R sometimes I get a delay and then a hard clunk. it was also shifting funny from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd. I had transmission flushed and I brought it home and reset the pcm which took care of 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd problem. the hard shift into reverse is still there. also sometimes when backing up over the curb into my driveway if i'm against the curb and give it gas to get it up into the driveway it will clunk then too. is this a solenoid pack, valve body or servo bore problem? or is it something else?

Just because you mentioned a clunk when giving it gas over a curb makes me think of a broken motor mount or tranny mount.

well after having this vehicle for a month or so I was going to replace a negative battery cable. in search of the end of the cable I discovered that front drive shaft was missing. with the shifting issue and the drive shaft missing I called the dealer I bought it from and he bought it back for the same price I paid for it. had no idea that explorers/mountaineers suck

Back