Tranny Problems

rcdpcc@aol.com

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Exployer Limite
Hello members hope you can help
Wife and I purchased a 2006 Explorer with V8 and 90000 miles on it about 6000 miles ago or 3 months . Now when you are driving you get to about 40mph and the car starts jerking like you are pumping the gas pedal real fast, so you press on the gas it quits, until you get to around 60 mph and it will do it again, I am talking about under light acceleration. Now if you get after it there are no problems and or if your running around 65mph. Also if I disable OD it does fine. I am somewhat mechanical just enough to get myself in trouble wishing I would have not started a project, but usually in the end I am glad I did and it works out. Hope I posted this in the right spot , if not someone let me know.
Thanks for any help.
Ritchie

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Me personally, before spending a good amount of money on what may or may not be the converter, I would verify that you don't have a spark plug/coil issue. Bad plugs/coils can make you think that something is wrong with your transmission/converter when there isn't. On the early V8's it is not uncommon for there to be a bad coil, plugs, or even throttle body and that can cause the symptoms you are having under light throttle. I am not saying that it cannot be the converter, I am just saying rule those items out first before you go the transmission converter replacement route.

I had this also. I did a trans flush at the dealer and the reprogramming that is recommended for this transmission. It was reduced tremendously. Then after plug/coil replacement, it's now completely gone.

Me personally, before spending a good amount of money on what may or may not be the converter, I would verify that you don't have a spark plug/coil issue. Bad plugs/coils can make you think that something is wrong with your transmission/converter when there isn't. On the early V8's it is not uncommon for there to be a bad coil, plugs, or even throttle body and that can cause the symptoms you are having under light throttle. I am not saying that it cannot be the converter, I am just saying rule those items out first before you go the transmission converter replacement route.

Agreed, I wouldn't just replace the converter and hope for the best. A road test with a good scanner with someone who knows how to use it will be able to determine which way to go. The guy in the other thread took a big chance by just having someone replace the converter without confirming the converter slip like I suggested. Engine misses typically won't cause the rpms to jump, but until you can see it happen on a scanner I wouldn't do anything.

Thanks everyone for your advise,
Just got back from the tranny shop, manager took it for test drive and came to the conclusion that it was torque converter shudder, what he suggested was to flush and change filter and if that didn,t fix it it would have to come out. Will so far it shifts smooth as silk no problems so far and I hope thats all it needed. He also said there was no metal or any other material in the oil so good sign!! I will keep everyone posted if something else happens. Cost so far $140.00 that is the good part. Everyone have a safe and good Thanksgiving, Ritchie

What transmission fault codes did he pull? None? Why not? If it was a trans issue, he should have something other than his gut feeling from a test drive.

What you are describing (shudder at low rpm, light throttle) is classic plug-coil issue for this V8. Get it scanned at a place that can check for "pending codes". You will likely find several misfires logged. You should do this FREE check before you pay anyone to do any trans work.

When I was shopping for my '06, a used Mounty had this, and I thought it was a trans issue. The dealer let me take it to a trans shop that I trusted. They checked for trans codes and found not. Then checked for engine codes (during a test drive with me), and we it was throwing misfire codes in real time, right when we felt it. They sent me on my way with a free diagnosis. I didn't buy the truck becuase the selling dealer would not fix the issue.

I found another (the one I have now). A year after, I felt the same thing after my wife reported a check engine light. This threw the same misfire code, but my troubleshooting found it to be a bad plug.

It was just doing it at 45mph then it would do it at around 65, as I said heavy acceleration it shifted just fine, no check engine light or blinking OD light, The tranny shop I used, came well reccomended and very few negative comments in thier blog, yea he could have did a scan and charged another $75 or $100 that what a dealership would charge. I think a person who deals with transmissions every day can make good, gut decisions. So far 475 miles since flush and no problems at that, I think $140 was pretty cheap fix. This also was a independent shop just saying.

I'm simply recommending that if the problem returns, don't spend big money on a new trans or torque convertor, before you look into the plug/coil issues. (just saying :p)

OH yea thanks for the tips everyone, The problem with my explorer is I know nothing of what the previous owners have done as far as PM so that is why I joined this blog, the information I learned here, gave me a little more knowledge than most customers so if the tranny flush and filter didn't fix it, then the list of possibilitys is endless, but it does give you a edge with the tech's and times just talking with them may bring up something else they forgot to check if you know what I am saying. If he said the transmission was going to have to come out then I would asking why,what codes and so on. This a good forum and thanks again for everyones input!!

All i can say is never trust another persons gut feeling without having evidence to atleast halfway support it. My teachers family owns the best shop in our town and he has told us about countless times someone followed their gut feeling and throwing the 300 dollar part at it and it not fixing the problem he said theres a big box called the dumbassbox for this reason

Hello J prentice just for the record son, I have been on this earth about 30 years longer than you , I have been a heavy construction super for the last years 20 and usually my gut feelings are about 95% accurate. So why don't you not comment, until after your balls have dropped and I might listen to you!!

Fine when your dumbass whines to us on this forum about your truck dont expect help i dont care how old you are just means your gonna die sooner yay me so bu bye

Back