Tranny question-Transmission code P0734, P0733 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tranny question-Transmission code P0734, P0733

awdrocks

Reaction score
City, State
Cancun
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie B.
I'm doing my tuning right now.... I'm getting a P0734 code GEAR FOUR GEAR RATIO ER

The only thing that has been added to the tranny was this tranny cooler. I maybe spilled a table spoon of oil when I re-routed the hoses. Could that extra space from the cooler been enough to lower the oil lever to get this code? I would think if it was a low level oil problem my tranny would slip and I would get a different code.

We already tried to tune it out and it won't.

If I clear the code and let the X sit for a while... I can drive about 10 blocks and it comes back... first my OD starts to flash... then my message center says "check transmission" and then I can hear a little squeaking like in the tranny. This is all driving VERY easy, only getting into 3rd at about 25mph... And it shifts nice.

Low oil?

Trannycooler.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

H mm, curious. I might think it would be good to verify the fluid level, but unless it was a bigger loss of fluid, I doubt that code would be the level.

Can you hunt for the code online through other forums. Research is not very to the point, but sometimes you can get a good answer. Another words, what else could create that code.

Do that though, check all fluids and everything about what you worked on. Look for loose connections etc. What internal changes have been done with the trans, and how many miles has it got now?

What internal changes have been done with the trans, and how many miles has it got now?

I have done absolutely nothing to the tranny besides the cooler. The torque converter has not gone in yet.

I have 50k on the tranny. The weird thing is that before all the upgrades... I shut the X down and the tranny was 100%... never any codes or anything. I parked it for 1.5 months and the first time I drive it this code appeared. The first code it gave me was a P0733 GEAR 3 RATIO ER... now all its getting is the P0734 GEAR FOUR RATION ER.... very weird.

Well I just spoke to Allen AKA dirtyd0g at the tccoa forum who build my torque converter... and he said that my tranny is def slipping from low level... to top it off.

I wonder if that would mean anything to Chris, hopefully these 5R's are becoming more well known.

If you don't have a valve body kit yet, I would suggest doing that soon. With the low mileage a normal vehicle would not warrant changing solenoids yet.

Send Chris a message, ask him what he suggests for a 50k 5R55W used with your level of power. He may suggest the EPC solenoid, I know that a boost valve upgrade is usual when going into the valve body also. Good luck,

awdrocks- Are your still running the stock 5R55W? No other mods than tuning? There are a few funtions which take place from 3rd to 4th,this would be-releasing a intermediate band and applying a direct clutch. The first thing I would do is log the trans and make sure you don't have any flares or binds. Does the trans feel odd while shifting? Is the shift normal. Before that I would confirm the wiring harness is plugged completely into the trans (left side-solenoid control packet and dtr sensor wiring). Also you should have two packets of wires coming from the main harness to the back of the engine on top of the tranny (where the bellhousing meets the block). Make sure they are plugged up and connected well. These two packets serve as neutral safety,reverse lights and control over all you solenoids.

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't you just do a thread cleaning up your wiring harness. I would make sure while you had the supercharger off you didn't get into the above mentions harness and or connections pinching a wire or maybe even cutting one. I have a pinout and if interested I can scan and email to you. This way you can test all connections from the trans to the pcm verifying whether you have a broken wire or it is really a mechanical problem.

Being you are tuning your truck did you change any trans settings? Are you using the SCT custom tuning software? If you feel comfortable I can look at the tuning and verify that a switch or scaler hasn't inadvertantly been changed to reflect this problem.

I am on vacation till Thurs I will be willing to help if interested. Shoot all information to hensonperformance@bham.rr.com as my coverage here will be spotty this week. Later-jh

Well I just spoke to Allen AKA dirtyd0g at the tccoa forum who build my torque converter... and he said that my tranny is def slipping from low level... to top it off.

These tranny's can be made to shift very firm!! Violently firm. Is the low level you are talking about low fluid level? I am intimately familiar with this trans. I really like them. They can definately take some power.

Thanks for all the input guys.

Yes I added a tranny cooler and didn't top off the oil. Its a small cooler though...

I'm going to go top it off... ill report back to see what happened.

With adding a new cooler and no fill tube to add into, the fluid would be a little low. Are those codes ever related to a level too low? Isn't there a fill plug high on the side of the trans. I'd like to see a good 20oz. or so added to it.

Well I checked all the cables and visually everything is good. I added almost 2 quarts of ATF... codes came back. Put the stock tranny tune and nothing.

What's weird is that it shifts gears perfectly. I got it into 4th... and I can't hear or feel a dam thing.

I'll take that printout jh.

If my clutches went bad or my tranny needed work.. wouldn't it be very apparent at some point when driving?

In the 5R55W a P0734 code indicates a lack of 4th gear. First level of checking is the shift solenoids. You could have a problem with any of the A,B or C solenoids. (Since replacement is replacing the block, it really isn't critical which one.)

Oher causes could be internal, such as stuck Valve Body spools, or damaged friction material.

NOW.... all that said.... let's try and figure out WHAT on earth it was you were doing when this all showed up.... adding an inline cooler, right?

THAT won't damage friction material, and even brief periods of low fluid won't likely glaze em either...

Stuck spools? Why might they stick? Hmmm didya cut a line? Metal flake made its way into the VB? If you did in fact cut a line that fits.

Solenoid Block? These are pretty well screened, but ya know the W's solenoid blocks DO fail at seemingly early intervals.

Your FORD dealer could run Pinpoint Test A (a solenoid test series), using an NGS tester. That would check for solenoid errors, which is the main concern for this code.

In the 5R55W a P0734 code indicates a lack of 4th gear. First level of checking is the shift solenoids. You could have a problem with any of the A,B or C solenoids. (Since replacement is replacing the block, it really isn't critical which one.)

Oher causes could be internal, such as stuck Valve Body spools, or damaged friction material.

NOW.... all that said.... let's try and figure out WHAT on earth it was you were doing when this all showed up.... adding an inline cooler, right?

THAT won't damage friction material, and even brief periods of low fluid won't likely glaze em either...

Stuck spools? Why might they stick? Hmmm didya cut a line? Metal flake made its way into the VB? If you did in fact cut a line that fits.

Solenoid Block? These are pretty well screened, but ya know the W's solenoid blocks DO fail at seemingly early intervals.

Your FORD dealer could run Pinpoint Test A (a solenoid test series), using an NGS tester. That would check for solenoid errors, which is the main concern for this code.

I didn't cut a line. I just disconnected one line from the stock cooler and connected it to the new cooler... then I put a new line from the new cooler to the tranny. So I think we can discard that one.

The first time I got this code was the first time I drove it again, I literally coasted down the street to a stop sign, turned left and almost coasted down the next street with very light throttle, and I got the "bing" and code. So like you said... I don't think I glazed or physically damaged anything from being a little low on oil in about a 45 second drive. So I think we can also discard that one.

I googled P0734 and im reading that a lot of people ended up replacing their MAF. Now I did go to a different MAF... went from a lighting MAF to a BA2400... BUT I did buy it used.... AND I just got a new code P1121 TPS INCONSISTANT WITH MAF. So it might possibly be the MAF.

I think im going to put on the lighting MAF and recheck my TPS volt setting to make sure it didn't move.... and reflash and hope for a surprise. Whatcha think?

Hmm, interesting. I have a maf that is giving fits-I am sure it is what causes my torque converter to quit locking with no codes present-

I'm anxious to hear the results of the switchback--

I guess the MAF would make sense since this was a code that just came from no where. Before I started all the work my tranny was flawless... I park it, did some upgrades, then drove it for the first time and 45 seconds later.... CODE.... I feel its something that was just put on...

Well im waiting for my new tune for the lightning MAF and hope for some luck.

Hmm, interesting. I have a maf that is giving fits-I am sure it is what causes my torque converter to quit locking with no codes present-

I'm anxious to hear the results of the switchback--

Yes lets hope this is it. The MAF can be the culprit to many weird things if its bad. ALSO my motor stalls out sometimes if I don't carefully play with the throttle... LOnnie my tuner asked me to check my TPS settings, which I already had right.... sooooo this is another symptom the MAF could be causing.

Well guys... I'm very pleased to report that it was indeed the MAF. I just got back from a 20 minute drive with the 90 LMAF and nooo codes :thumbsup: . No stalls, nothing.

Before I put on the LMAF I cleaned the BA2400 with MAF cleaner just to check if maybe it was just dirty... drove it... and the code came back.

Now im off to get the new BA2600.

Guys I appreciate all your input and effort to help. Trust me if it was not the MAF... I would have been trailering your advice.

Hey jt... can you change the topic to Transmission code P0734, P0733 please.

Hopefully this can aid someone in the future.

Well guys... I'm very pleased to report that it was indeed the MAF. I just got back from a 20 minute drive with the 90 LMAF and nooo codes :thumbsup: . No stalls, nothing.

Before I put on the LMAF I cleaned the BA2400 with MAF cleaner just to check if maybe it was just dirty... drove it... and the code came back.

Now im off to get the new BA2600.

Guys I appreciate all your input and effort to help. Trust me if it was not the MAF... I would have been trailering your advice.

Hey jt... can you change the topic to Transmission code P0734, P0733 please.

Hopefully this can aid someone in the future.

Great news Alex!!
Yes, the maf sensor has more going on than just fuel curve calculations--I knew it!!
I have a lightning maf to install when I do my tuning. This is great news for me--

Great news Alex!!
Yes, the maf sensor has more going on than just fuel curve calculations--I knew it!!
I have a lightning maf to install when I do my tuning. This is great news for me--

Hopefully that will also solve your TC issue.

Here's the new SCT BA2600

BA2600.jpg

Well good Alex, now don't all of these codes make sense? How do you explain to people about how many possible problems can cause one fault code? Everyone thinks the codes should point to one bad part.

That's good, now the question is what is wrong with the "new" BA2400 MAF? Did it just have poor voltage signals produced, etc? It seems that a lot of MAF problems never are actually identified, the MAF's are just swapped and discarded. Regards,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This indeed is proof how, in the world of electronically controlled transmissions, one bad input can show up as a seemingly unrelated transmission code. It is also proof of the notion that when things suddenly change, backtrack thru everything you did prior to it going to h*ll... even seemingly unrelated things.

Back