• Register Today It's free!

Tranny Rebuild A4LD

RichardOdie

Reaction score
City, State
Abbotsford Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 1991 XLT
I just bought a tranny from the local wreaker for $69 and want to rebuild it. Can any body advise me as to how much this could possibly cost and what components will possibly need replacing. I will also be towing a trailer for my ATV and alum. boat , is there any upgrades i can incorporate into the tranny to give it a bit more life and durability. Any info will be greatly received. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Incorporate a tranny cooler, best upgrade you can make with the A4LD.

i just had my 91 a4ld rebuilt. it set me back 1500 dollars. the only part of it that was good was the tranny case, oh yeah that included installation. the explorer goes good now. i also had them set it up for towing.

If you do it yourself, and replace the pump with new, and a new torque convertor, and go full out on upgrades, you are probably looking between 700-800 for parts. But that would include NEW planetaries, sprags etc.

It has been a while since I was in the tranny business but sprags and planetarys rarely need to be replaced. Even when you are charged for them.

A soft parts Kit in the 90's cost about $100 and always get a rebuilt torque converter. Buy it from a company that rebuilds them. Not from a store. Unless you find real broken parts all you need is a soft parts rebuild. If you look at the pump, the gears of the pump slide against the surface. If the surface shows no scratches deep enough to catch your fingernail you are fine. Pumps usually only go bad if the torque converter frags.

The reason to always replace the torque converter is you can never see the inside to see wear and they hold a lot of crud that you can never clean out even if it is flushed.

With all due respect, the average rebuild life on the A4LD is between 30,000 and 40,000 miles. Soft parts rebuilds do not get it for these trannies. Most they do... but not the C-3 "add on" A4LD. I think in my rebuild thread I have shown why.

We just started seeing the A4ld's when I left the business. Some trannies had particular problems that were often repaired with aftermarket stronger parts.

The A4LD is probably the most overburdened transmission ever built. It is a decendant of a four cylinder Thunderbird transmission. The electronic upgrades haven't helped the internal weaknesses. Unless an A4LD is working perfectly, a short lifespan is assured.

I have not yet rebuilt one, but have heard about them for a long time. They usually require numerous hard parts to be replaced, besides the normal seals, frictions, and steels. Good luck,

Thank you for all the info on this subject , it is greatly received and will be used . I am going to start this project next week.

Glacier991 said:
With all due respect, the average rebuild life on the A4LD is between 30,000 and 40,000 miles. Soft parts rebuilds do not get it for these trannies. Most they do... but not the C-3 "add on" A4LD. I think in my rebuild thread I have shown why.

I totally agree with Glacier on this. I replaced everything I could find in mine and it still would not hold up to the punishment I put it through. I did not have the luxury of his "diary" back then so I did not know about the upgrades though.

I was pleased when I got the C5 swapped in. :) Its not based a little C3 pinto transmission.

Back