Tranny rebuild recommended, but I don't have any problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tranny rebuild recommended, but I don't have any problems

MikeCA

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 4.6 Ltd.
I've got a 2004 explorer ltd with 120k in a shop getting the rear-end rebuilt. While at the shop I asked for a tranny service.

I made a post about this here: https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=437959 but it was recommended I also post in this sub forum.

Shop took the pan off and discovered a dark grey metallic film covering the pan. Golden flakes were also in the filter, not a lot, but multiple flakes of varying sizes. The fluid was shot. The shop claims I'll need a rebuild, but I don't have (or didn't have) any problems with the tranny other than over a year ago on two or three occassions it wouldn't shift into rear and needed some time then bumped into gear. Since then, nothing. Smooth shifting all the way through.

So what I'm trying to figure out why it's so imperative that I get a rebuild? It doesn't have enough problems but then the shop claims if they don't do it now I'll be back soon and need a costlier job after it craps out completely.

What are your thoughts? Drain and service, close her up and go, or get the rebuild?

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How many miles on the transmission?

Light film and a few flakes are not uncommon.

If you are not having any shift issues I would say let it run.

In my experience one of the first signs you will get "When it's Time for a Rebuild" is slow gear change and slow engagement when cold.

Keep the fluid changed at a regular time and you should be fine.

Thanks!

120k, it's still a baby compared to what some of the guys are running as am original.

Main thing that kills them is heat and dirty fluid.

I'm not sure about yours but it best to drain the torque converter too when doing a fluid change. It hold more fluid than the pan.

My 4R70 has a a drain plug on the converter.

No kidding, hey? I'll put that on the list for sure and see if there's a plug.

Back