Tranny Repair in Jan 09, now bad again!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tranny Repair in Jan 09, now bad again!!!

jpoprock

Reaction score
City, State
Kokomo, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Limited
Hey guys. I'm hoping that you can give me some advise.

I drive a 2002 Ford Explorer Limited, 140K miles. My first tranny problem was back in Jan 2009, and was the dreaded "flashing OD light", increased RPM's, etc. My tranny guy (who is a client of mine, and quite trustworthy), replaced the Solenoid Block Assembly and the Valve Body. He also flushed the tranny fluid and put a new filter in.

The fix did the trick, and the vehicle has been driving fine. Until now.

I noticed a couple weeks ago that when I started the veh cold, there was a high pitched whine coming from the motor. ALMOST like a "turbo" type sound. But I figured it was because it was now cold outside, and the motor was just cold. It seemed like as the motor warmed up, it would go away.

But then out of the blue, my OD light came on, then my Check Transmission light came on, and the vehicle had problems shifting thru it's gears! I was an hour away from home, at night, and with my 8yr old son. I had to get home, so I took it easy. Fortunately, I was on highway the entire time. But I did have to stop a few times at stoplights. I had a really hard time getting it to pass thru the gears. Sometimes it would do it easier than other times. Every now and then, I could not get it to shift into third gear to save my life. People were coming up behind me quickly, there was no room to pull over, etc. It was a nightmare! Sometimes when it would go into third gear, it would pass thru it quickly as though it was skipping it. I'm not sure if I was ever able to get it into 5th gear (assuming that is the highest one?). So, I drove accordingly based off of whatever gear I thought I was in. I basically tried to keep my RPM's as low as possible. Sometimes that meant going no faster than 40-50 tops. By the time the trip was over, it said my tranny was overheated! Great!!
Tranny.jpg

So, I'm taking it to my guy tomorrow and he's going to look at it.

As luck would have it, the vehicle is now paid for. PLUS, I just spent $800 not but 11 months ago, AND my buddy and I spent 19hrs changing my rear hubs, bearings, and springs! I can't afford to get a new vehicle right now. I need for this vehicle to last me another year or two TOPS, at which point I'll be able to get whatever I want.

I was hoping to get some info before taking it to my guy, that way I can know what to expect, and know whether or not he's on the money with the problem. Because I just know that he's going to tell me that I'm going to need to put a new or rebuilt tranny in it, and that will cost big bucks!

Does it matter that I just had a new Valve body and Solenoid block put in it? I don't know anything about trannys. So, is it possible that I could just replace other components that are bad without having to put a rebuilt in? I don't want to have to just EAT $800 for nothing.

What about trying to find a 2002 Explorer Tranny from a salvage yard?

Or what about putting in a 2005 Explorer tranny? Will it fit? Will it be any more reliable than the dreaded 2002 tranny?

This truck has been great for me. I've owned it since it had 19K miles on it. But almost every single thing that is known to fail on these, has for me. And of course, if I took it to a dealer for repair, they'd never admit to any of it!

I look forward to hearing back from someone on this asap! Thanks all!

Jason

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Jpop-sorry to hear of your woes. I have a 2004 and the dealer rebuilt the tranny last year on mine. I still have 20k left on my warrenty, BUT after reading your post I might have a new problem; since the weather got colder here in NY I now hear a whistle from inside the dash when I run it and it shifts gears. It dosent happen every time, but about three times in the last month. Keep us posted on what happens with yours, good luck.

If I understand your post correct, all he did was replace the worn things with stock parts? From what I've heard, the ideal thing to do is to bore out the solenoid holes and put better ones in, ones made from steel apparently, along with replacing all of the bad stuff. Don't know if this is what's causing it or what...

Did he replace the rods? Or is that part of the solenoid pack?

Heck, I dunno. He replaced the Solenoid Pack and Valve Body, and that took care of the problem that was occuring at that time, and lasted 11 months. But now, I'm having a different issue.

He only fixed what was broken last time, rather than rebuilding the tranny. Makes sense to me.

However, I got the word today that in fact, my tranny is toast. Multiple levels of failure. Something about a turbine sensor? Burnt clutches, etc. I'm looking at a rebuild he said. In the $1500-$1800 range. Lucky me!

Thanks guys!

He said that there were multiple codes, and I didn't write them down. The first code pointed to a bad turbine shaft sensor that was on top of the tranny. Upon tearing into the tranny to get that area, he found all kind of failures as well as the turbine sensor.

When I asked him about the servo bore deal, he smiled, and said, "All good transmission shops should have that kit". Which I took it as he was aware of it, and had the kit. He knows that when I come to him, I come prepared! It's almost like I interrogate him! LOL! He's a good guy and honest. We know too many of the same people, and he's a client of ours. So I feel good in knowing he's going to treat me well.

He said, "My rebuilt tranny should out last the vehicle, providing you don't decide to pull a bulldozer out of the mud and things out of the norm. As well as routine service".

I'll hammer him for more specifics and report back!

Jason

Back