• Register Today It's free!

Tranny "roar" while driving

jpoprock

Reaction score
City, State
Kokomo, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Limited
Hey all. I had an OEM tranny put in my 2002 Explorer Ltd about two years ago from a trusted Tranny shop. I also changed the rear bearings, hubs, rotors and brakes. I'm due for new shocks and springs, and I'm waiting to put those on when it's not so hot out. But I do have them ready to go.

I'm a bit concerned though, because at some point over the last month, it dawned on me that my truck was quite "loud" while driving down the highway. I started paying more attention to it, and now it's driving me insane.

I check the tranny fluid four times. The fluid was brownish, and the level was fine. I noticed in the first two pulls, ONE small silver flake, in each pull. In the third and fourth pull, I saw none. So I might ok.

I know it's my tranny that's making the "roar" because when I let off the gas, it goes away. It does it as long as I'm holding a steady speed, any speed, even low speed. If I put the tranny in neutral as I approach a stop, it's totally silent. The engine sounds good when I rev it, so it's not the muffler I don't think. It has to be the tranny.

But to help put my mind at east until I can get it in to the shop, WHAT could be? Could it be a simple adjustment? Could it something horrific? It's out of warranty now of course, but I'm terrified that it's going to be a ton of money to fix. I just got divorced and have no car payment. I can't afford to spend
$2K on a new tranny, but I can afford a $600 repair if I had to. The truck has 180K miles on it, but it's in great shape, has all these new parts on it, and soon new struts and springs. It just needs spit shined, and I could probl drive it another year or longer, which would be great!

If faced with a new tranny, it could be devastating for me. I'm not ready to buy a new car, and if I had to, I would buy something junky anyway. I needed this truck to last me a while longer without dumping more money into it. not a ton at least. By then, I will be able to get a vehicle that I WANT rather than just a "Set of wheels for now".

My parents have a third veh I can borrow, but my sister has it and can't get it back to me until NEXT weekend. I have to keep driving my truck until I get the back up veh to drive while It's being repaired. I know you would probably say, "don't drive it!" but I have no choice.

Any thoughts on what it might be? Just for the record, the truck shifts smooth as silk, and without hesitation. It just has a "roar" to it that is as loud as totally shot tires and bearings.

Thanks!
Jason

Back