• Register Today It's free!

Tranny shutter?

IBLEEDFORDBLUE

Reaction score
City, State
Spokane, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer XLT 5.0
My X 5.0 shutters (feels like your going over mini speed bumps) when it shifts into overdrive after a pass. Has anyone else experenced the same? Is this a sign that the torque converter is not locking up? It is not low on fluid, only have 73k on it? Thanks, Richard

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try a fluid change. There is some history of this shudder problem in this transmission as the additives wear out. Then it will likely come back in another 30K. If this was a V6 instead of a V8, it would be more likely an ignition problem.

sounds like you have a torque converter shudder, go to a auto parts store and put a chemical called DR. TRANX shudder fix in it , if thew shudder goes away you need a new torque converter, the shudder fix is just a band aid fix and wont last forever though. I know this stuff cause I work at my fathers transmission shop and see this alot not just in ford but all makes and model with lock up converters

So what is causing this shudder that i am feeling when it shifts to overdrive, it only shudders if it is under heavy load (hill) or if at the end of a hard pass. Also, what parts are giving way in this shuddering process? Richard

Change the fluid and retighten the valve body bolts.

I had the exact same problem with overdrive. What it ended up being was a stuck valve. I ended up taking it to a shop to get fixed, and thats when I found out. They pulled the heads off and replaced the seals and now it runs like brand new. Idles really nice too:)

Limited Ex-- What valve was stuck? On the valve body of the tranny or are you talking about intake or exhaust valve in the motor? Thanks, Richard

The the exhaust valve in the #1 cylinder of the engine. Its funny how it affected overdrive, but it runs smooth as butter now!

Back