Tranny slipping in reverse | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tranny slipping in reverse

Dave W.

Reaction score
Had my tranny the 5r55e rebuilt may 2006 reverse went out, may 2007 reverse went out again!
It had pin break off for reverse WAS REPLACED UNDER WARRANTY
Three weeks later now tranny is slow about 1-2 seconds to engauage into reverse and is starting to slip if I give it a little to much throttle.
I always back up my driveway to put the car in the garage.
Checked fluid level in tranny and is about an inch to high on the dipstick.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Take it back and have them fix it right. It pisses me off when you pay "professionals" (I use that term loosely) big $$$ to fix something, then it fails not only once but twice!

Is the fluid level an inch high with the engine running in park? Since you have an issue on a hill, I wonder if they forgot the filter O rings and it is sucking air. Overfilling is a short term fix that creates other issues.

5r55e tranny slippage

Yes, had the vehicle on level surface, engine running in park and was about an inch over full.
What other issues does an overfull tranny have if any?
Can you be specific if you can?
Called the man up today and told him it was overfull by how much, and he said it shouldn't make a difference.
He can't get it into the shop till next weekend!
This guy just does tranny's, and he supposed to be good, but now I have my doubts for sure!

Got it back last Thursday, seems good to go now!
Tranny guy said there was a crack in some case, can't remember the name but it was for reverse,
works good and no waiting for reverse 1-2 seconds.
No charge for the work because it was under his warranty!:

Back