tranny slips, i think, not sure if its normal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

tranny slips, i think, not sure if its normal

inh

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Springfield(ish), MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLS
while trying to make it up a semi steep hill in 4hi, it got to a point where all the would happen is the engine would rev to like 3k and just sit there. I dont think this has ever happened before, though i always used 4lo (i couldnt this time because the shifter doesnt move far enough back since teh body lift.)

Is this a sign of a worn tranny, or is it to be expected when trying something like this? I know that this obviously isnt good for the tranny.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no. it works great most of the time, just when i was trying to go up steep inclines in 4 hi. btw i got it in 4lo today and went out and got up the hills no problem with no slippage.

tranny was in 1, with OD off, and the tcase was in 4 hi

Maybe it is just because of the steepness of the incline. If it would happen all of the time, then it could be torque converter, band, or VB related. Did you check your fluid level? Maybe your fluid is just low.

Whatever it is, STOP doing it ! (g)

hehe yea yea i know. as soon as i can find a place im comfortable with mounting my ext. tranny filer i can put that on along with my b&m supercooler.

oh and hey while i got your attention, how hard is it to rebuild a tranny yourself (or myself, rather) glacier?

It is not nearly as difficult as most people are led to believe. It requires some attention to detail many places along the way, and some specialty tools can make it much easier and more foolproof (I can make those available). If you have not read the A4LD Rebuild Diary in the stickies, I recommend it.

Hold on a sec. It probably isnt your tranny if you havent noticed it during normal driving conditions. Do you have a Control Trac system for your 4wd? If so that could be part of the problem. To my understanding, the Control Trac uses the Bord Warner 4405 transfer case which uses clutches to engage 4Hi which really isnt a true 4Hi. 4hi with a 4405 is actually a All Wheel Drive gear. It basically acts like AWD in say a subaru where when wheel slippage is detected it engages. Im pretty sure Ive burnt up my clutches on my because I was running in4wd 6 months out of the year and off roading on top of that (150k miles on the rig doesnt help either). I'm sure it could be rebuilt but im just gonna swap a BW 1354 t case in its place

awesome, gonna go read that now. im hoping to save some money by rebuilding my tranyn when it dies... again....

BTW 4 Low with a BW 4405 is an actual 4 Low so that sounds like why 4low works but not high

huh? i swapped in a 1354 awhile ago and havent had any issues. the only reason i couldnt get it in to 4lo was because the hole in my floor wasnt wide enough after i put on the body lift, so i couldnt move the shifter back far enough

Well if you swapped 1354 in there nevermind about the BW 4405 t case. Still, if you can drive around normally without being in 4WD and without slippage then it might not be the transmission.

tru... i dont know much about the 1354.. is there clutch like plates in there that can go bad? i dont think so, jsut a couple of gears and a chain to the best of my knowledge.

Yeah it has gears and chains like you said, and i personally dont know all of the in's and out's so maybe someone else has an idea. Another thing maybe you could do to just test out the tranny is try putting a load on it without it in 4wd. If you are out on Fort Riley, I'm sure you could find some trail that you could run in 2wd that would put load on your tranny or maybe try pulling a load behind it and see if it happens. I know there might be better tests out there but I'd think these would be real quick and simple things to see if the tranny is slipping with a load on it.

Back