Tranny still slipping after replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tranny still slipping after replacement

YovannyRamirez

Reaction score
City, State
Northeastern Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer
So it all started off when i blew my tranny cooler coming up a mountain. All of the tranny fluid moved up to the radiator. I replaced radiator and flushed out coolant and added fresh tranny fluid. Ran good for a week or two, shortly after, tranny started to slip coming into 2nd gear and also if i put drive (D) on a hill it will not kick in at all.
Replaced transmission, seal, and filter (got it off a yard of a truck that was rear ended, no shaft or chassis damage). Got tranny up and running runs good. However, i am still having the same slippage but now instead of 2nd gear it is doing it on 3rd gear. it feels like i lose acceleration for a split second and the truck slams itself into 3rd gear. The shifter takes all the gears fine but when i am driving it shifts really rough into 3rd. the fluid on this new tranny is clear and red no metal shavings or anything, and smells good. ????????????

P.S- i added 1 qt of TransX and it worked for a few hours, The next day i added some transmission fluid Lucas and it did not help at all.

Torque converter???

2000 Ford Explorer 4.0 V6 SOHC auto trans

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nope..doubt it is the TC.
Do the r's jump much before it actually goes into 3rd?

No they don't. It just feels like it doesn't accept 3rd gear for like 2 seconds and then when it takes it I feel the gear slam into place. My o/d light is not on (and it works) and I have no other problem with any other gears.

You need to do a run-up on the valve body. But before that I believe I'd get it on a good scanner. Also check to see if you can get a re-flash.

Sounds to me like a powertrain control module issue (or whatever Ford calls it) Multitudes of Chrysler transmissions were replaced in the 90s due to a faulty $80 computer chip

Bill

Back