• Register Today It's free!

Tranny symptom..odd

greasemanicure

Reaction score
City, State
Burlington, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 4X4 4R->5R mod
More than 2 years ago this forum was great help in changing out the transmission on our 96 Ex 4.0 OHV. At that time I pulled the 4R out, found more wrong than my talent would deal with and installed a used 5R. It has been running like a top and the fluid is at the proper level and as clear as when I last filled it.

Lately here is what I notice. From a cold start, after maybe 5 miles of driving the "O/D Off" lite flashes. Stop for gas, or just turn it off and restart.... no flashing "O/D Off" and it stays that way for the rest of the trip. It won't flash again until after it totally cools down and warms back up. Even when the "O/D Off" lite is flashing, the tranny shifts normally and hits all the gears smoothly, including O/D.

We had a Jeep Grand that did the 5 mile trick only it would coast to a stop. Let it sit turned off for 5 minutes and it would take off for another 5 miles. That turned out to be crap in the pan getting sucked to the filter and plugging it, and falling off when turned off. With the Ex, there is no obvious change in performance.

Any thoughts as to what to look for?
Thanks!
Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No idea on the codes. I don't have a tranny code reader and I would appreciate a pointer to any thread that tells how to read them with a meter or test lite.

The 5R was listed as removed from a 96 4.0 but no indication of whether it was from an OHV or SOHC. The only swapping of parts I did was to put the 4R bell housing on the 5R as the bolt holes were slightly off.

I remember the discussion back then about the external wiring harness concluding that the additional shaft speed sensors on the 5R would be invisible to the transmission controller, unless I wanted to find a 5R wiring harness and change it out, which was discouraged. Back then we did not discuss any swapping of the internal wiring harness or any other component.

This new symptom only cropped up more than 2 years after the tranny change and maybe some 60k miles.

Thanks for the quick response!

Joe

Joe, I'd say the 5R trans needs the updates that are so common for people to do to all of them. Hopefully your symptom is just the result of the inherent issues of the VB. Look at the 5R55E VB rebuild diary, and see what is involved with that. Unless the code points clearly to something else, do the VB upgrades and see if that takes care of it. The parts are not too high, other than the EPC if you chose to do that. Some members found a company selling the VB already updated and ready to install, those were high as in $250 or so. Night,

Thanks, Don.

I'll go through the diary and search for a thread about reading tranny codes. An already updated VB may be the way to go given how crazy my work and home schedule has been. I enjoy the tinkering so I may do the update myself for the enjoyment if for no other reason.

Joe

Which graphic represents Joe giving himself a dope slap? The tranny codes are pulled by my ODB II scanner! It all comes back to me. As this may be a soft code, the code goes away when I shut down. I'll read the codes the next time I catch the "O/D Odd lite flashing and see where that takes me.

Joe

No Codes!

I've been watching for a week. Whatever it is that is triggering the flashing "O/D Off" light is not dumping a code for the ODB II scanner I have to pick up. It it that the scanner may not be recognizing legitimate codes or are there things that can flash the"O/D Off" light that do not dump a code? Any clues?

Joe

Cheap OBD II scanners will not pull tranny codes. I found that out the hard way. You have to pay extra for that "feature".

Ditto, several systems in the vehicles require either higher end scanners, or completely different scanners. The ABS, air bags, ARC suspension, EATC systems are the first that come to mind.

PC based scanners

Has anyone had any experience with the PC based code scanner Autotap? At least from their website, it seems to give a thorough analysis of the codes and live data. But then, "their lips are moving" applies.

Joe

Back