Tranny ticking? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tranny ticking?

yoyoracing

Reaction score
I have been having a problem with my explorer and am unsure as to the cause. It has a ticking nois that seems to be RPM associated (gets quicker if the engine runs quicker) but it is somewhat intermittent. The ticking starts quiet, and gets louder then stops, starts quiet, gets louder and stops, etc. Sometimes it remains quiet for a while.

This is most common at cold start up, but has been doing it more lately. It sounds kind of like it is coming from the transmission so I did a fluid filter service. This seemed to help for a while, but the noise is coming back. Any input that anyone may have would be greatly appreciated.

yoyoracing

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check for exhaust leaks.

My explorere is a 160K mile 1992 4door 4X4 Eddie bauer with the 4.0 pushrod V6 A4LD and 8.8 limited slip rear. the ticking noise does sound like a lifter or something but it doesn't make sense. Why would it sometimes make noise and sometimes not? It runs good and pulls hard (gets 200-220miles per tank).

yoyoracing

Back