Tranny trouble | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

Tranny trouble

MOTO MIKE

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm fairly new here, and maybe you've covered this topic before. I have a 94 explorer limited with 3" lift and 31's. problem is I kept the stock gearing (which i believe is 3:22) and now i'm having tranny trouble. The trans doesn't want to stay in second gear. when it does stay in second, as soon as I apply more gas, it jumps down into first. even at 35+mph. can any one suggest what the problem might be. the gears all hit solid, no slipping i can detect, but the fluid has been burned. Only the minor amount of metal has been located in the pan. finally, if I'm looking at a rebuild, which seems likely at this point, what kind of rebuild kits are out there, performance types? are there any problems I might encounter rebuilding it myself? is it adviseable to try?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

MOTO MIKE

Reaction score
Come on guys, hasn't anyone ever worked on a tranny before? there's more to Explorers than lift kits and bigger tires!!

mdrut

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Inverness, Fl.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 sport
I have never messed with the transmission in my explorer. If its not slipping , soulds like a valve body. Check B&M or Action Transmission, sould have shift kit or valve body you are looking for.

MOTO MIKE

Reaction score
MDRUT, thanks for the Info, I'm certain it's not slipping, however it won't stay in second gear. I'm willing to give the valve body a shot, but could this problem be electrical? I'll bet a shift kit may just be the ticket though. if it doesn't solve the problem, perhaps it will help locate it.