• Register Today It's free!

Trans and T-case swap questions

jg09

Reaction score
City, State
Everson, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Eddie Bauer Explorer
So I'd like to put a better auto transmission for towing into the '92 Ex that I'm getting here soon. My question is, what should I use? I'd like it to be fairly heavy duty and I'd like 4 gears. What have people used in the past? What would work with the least amount of blood, sweat, and tears (and of course, money)?

Also, I'd like to put in an NP231 or maybe an NP205 transfer case into the truck. The problem I see, other than spline count and overall length, is the speedometer cable. Explorers have a speedometer cable running into the transfer case. What does a 2wd Explorer's speedo cable run off? Since it wouldn't be a transfercase, would I be able to put in a different transfercase and run a 2WD speedo cable setup?

You don't think the stock transfer case is good enough? Just curious. Seems decent enough to me.

At this point, it should be fine, but if I ever choose to swap in a bigger, torquier engine, it won't be big enough.

Oh, and I think a TH700R4 is the trans of choice for me. Plus, some 700R4s came with NP205s, 203s, and 231s already mated to them. That would be easy to swap.

They 700R4 is not such a good tranny in stock trim. Aftermarket upgrades are very plentiful but will require a rebuild. Also, the 1354's are very good t-cases just a little lacking in the low range department. There are a lot of doublers out there using 1354s and there have been very few problems with the rear case and there are even some holding up well with V8s.

Back