Trans Cooler Line Disconnected | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trans Cooler Line Disconnected

07LTDDSM

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Sport Trac LTD
I was driving Bull Canyon this weekend and my trans cooler line disconnected and leaked out the ATF. I was stuck at the bottom until an ATV took me into town to get some fluid. Luckily I had some hose in the bed from doing a seafoam to the engine, because there is no trans fill tube. The trans took about 6 quarts so it was more than half empty. I'm going to do a pan drop and replace the filter this weekend since the gas station didn't have Mercon SP. Overall I'm actually impressed by this 6r60 transmission with 80k mi, because I was able to refill the trans and continue the 330mi trip to Flagstaff, Grand Canyon, Four Corners, and back to SLC with a full bed of camping gear doing about 80mph.

Question: since the cooler line came off and I was able to get it on and drive the 330 with no leaks does that mean I'm ok, or is there some type of o-ring or fitting that needs to be replaced since the line came off?

2011-01-22_232627_retainer_for_cooler_line.jpg

You should be good until it pops out again. There is a oring that seals the line when you insert it, and then a metal clasp that "locks" the line in behind the o-ring. It locks onto the raised ring on the line. The metal clasps on the aftermarket rads are garbage and do lock poorly, as well as the orings that tend to leak. I ended up swapping out the clasp and oring on my old oem rad with the aftermarket when I replaced mine. Its been running good for 2 years now knock on wood.

In case you are wondering, you cant replace the clasp, or Oring. Ford will just sell you a new rad. Some guys have replaced the entire fittings and installed screw in connectors in place of the quick connects with great results on the 4th gen exploders.

What do you mean "should be good until it pops out again"? Do you think it will pop off while city/hwy driving or did you mean on the trails?

Back