• Register Today It's free!

Trans cooler line leaking ??

dcdyd

Reaction score
City, State
Eden Prairie, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer
I noticed that the two steel pipes shown in following pictures are covers by trans fluid because the fluid is in red color. These two pipes are connecting the transmission fluid pan and the trans cooler behind the radiator. So those are trans cooler lines, right? I don't understand why there are two, may be one is to the cooler and the other is from the cooler.

10557530143_af87ca0df2_b.jpg

10557295576_dedff01150_b.jpg

10557294356_802793ebc1_b.jpg

Among these two lines, the lower one has been covered with trans fluid almost all along the pipe. It is also rusted. I am not sure from where the trans fluid leaks. Could it be the pipe itself?

If it is the pipe itself, can the pipe be replaced?

By the way, the trans fluid was dropping on the heat shield of the exhaust which makes burning smell.

By the way, this is 98 5L v8 AWD

Any comments are well appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

that pipe looks like a salted pretzel stick in the first pic. yes, the lines can rust and leak. the pipes are available, on-line, for around $100 for the pair. if you can find the point it's leaking from, you could do a cheapo repair using some rubber or braided trans cooler line with some hose clamps (i'd use 4 clamps, although the line pressure is pretty low). i don't know why these lines rust so badly. must be that Ford bought cheap, unprotected steel for the lines. i need a set for one of my 5.0's, but waiting until next spring (no salt down here and they're not leaking yet).

Mine are sketchy also so I plan on using stainless,

Mine are sketchy also so I plan on using stainless,

stainless will last pretty much for ever, but it can be hard to work with. difficult to flare, hard to bent and prone to leaking at flares because it doesn't conform easily.

We do it all the time, derby cars ,tractors ,ect, whenever a line goes bad it gets replaced with stainless, bending takes patience and good tools and flairs are easy with a pneumatic flairing setup.

that pipe looks like a salted pretzel stick in the first pic. yes, the lines can rust and leak. the pipes are available, on-line, for around $100 for the pair. if you can find the point it's leaking from, you could do a cheapo repair using some rubber or braided trans cooler line with some hose clamps (i'd use 4 clamps, although the line pressure is pretty low). i don't know why these lines rust so badly. must be that Ford bought cheap, unprotected steel for the lines. i need a set for one of my 5.0's, but waiting until next spring (no salt down here and they're not leaking yet).

Yes, salt is everywhere here in Minnesota. If I buy the set and replace the lines, since the lines are connected to the trans fluid pan, does that mean that I will need to fill the trans fluid for whatever it comes out?

Further how hard it is to get the lines off from the both side (one side connected trans fluid pan and the other side connected trans cooler)given the fact that it has been 16 years?

Yes, salt is everywhere here in Minnesota. If I buy the set and replace the lines, since the lines are connected to the trans fluid pan, does that mean that I will need to fill the trans fluid for whatever it comes out?

Further how hard it is to get the lines off from the both side (one side connected trans fluid pan and the other side connected trans cooler)given the fact that it has been 16 years?

they're not connected to the trans pan. they connected higher up on the side of the trans. you shouldn't loose any fluid, other than what's in the lines, but you need to add a little when you're done. it shouldn't be too hard to disconnect them from the trans, but it's a bit tight. at the trans cooler there are short pieces of rubber hose connecting the lines at the cooler. hose clamp - easy. if you have to disconnect a line at the radiator, also easy to do, just be sure to hold the fitting while loosening the line. snaking the new lines where they're supposed to run will probably take some wrestling. rust/corrosion is always the great unknown. they can turn any relatively simple job into a nightmare.

Rust/corrosion is always the great unknown. they can turn any relatively simple job into a nightmare.

I realized that when I replace the front sway bar end link. I had to cut the link off using hand saw because I couldn't get the nuts out.

Back