• Register Today It's free!

Trans cooler lines

rustbucketMI

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT 4x4
So i am in the middle of one project on my truck and i noticed that my trans oil cooler lines are quite rusted and look like they will blow at any time. I have a bender and could re-do the lines myself but at this point just want to buy pre-bent lines. Does anyone know where i could find some? I have cheacked the autozone website, as well as LMC truck and havn't found anything yet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So i am in the middle of one project on my truck and i noticed that my trans oil cooler lines are quite rusted and look like they will blow at any time. I have a bender and could re-do the lines myself but at this point just want to buy pre-bent lines. Does anyone know where i could find some? I have cheacked the autozone website, as well as LMC truck and havn't found anything yet.

I don't think they are available pre bent. You'll have to do it yourself or you can find a better set off of a parts rig.

Pretty sure you cant buy em. Make some, or go with braided hose ;)

Thanks guys, i was hoping to be able to get away from that, just did it on my other project car, but it looks like im SOL on this one

I have repaired many tranny cooling lines in the past (three times) What I have done was cut out the rusted bits with a pipe cutter and then used flexible gas lines over each end with ring clamps. It was a quick fix but lasted for years. It's cheap too.

Good luck.

I have repaired many tranny cooling lines in the past (three times) What I have done was cut out the rusted bits with a pipe cutter and then used flexible gas lines over each end with ring clamps. It was a quick fix but lasted for years. It's cheap too.

Good luck.

No heavy pressure on these lines, I have done this myself. In fact many Aftermarket Trani coolers have 'gas line' as the means to attach.

I wouldn't use "fuel line" as most rubber fuel line is for very low pressure.. e.g. 10psi or so..

Use transmission hose which around here is $4.25 a foot OR, even better, use low pressure hydraulic hose (300 psi) which around here is $1.25 a foot. The local Jobber auto parts store (sells to shops, unlike autozone) carried the hydraulic hose, and is the one that turned me onto it.

I've run with the hose just "slipped" over the cut trans line and with a couple clamps it held for years, but it starts to seep once the hose start to get hard and eventually it might come off.

What I finally did was get a compression to hose barb fitting (its actually 2 pieces to make that). It works great. Hose is nice and tight, doesn't seep.

~Mark

To add to Maniak's post.....

You could also just cut the old factory tube and flare the end (or go w/ the compression fitting and barbed end). Slip a hose over the flared end and clamp it.

As for the new cooler......B&M trans coolers come either........

Already with a 1/2 NPT female fitting (so you can buy whatever fitting you want and screw it in).

OR......

They come with a short tube with nub on the tube (so you can slip the hose over easily and clamp it).

If you get the kit........it has the hose included.

Aloha, Mark

Back