trans cooling fan purchase and help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

trans cooling fan purchase and help

Bigcheck1

Reaction score
City, State
Marlton, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Nissan Xterra
i just ordered this trans cooling fan for this guy from summit for my trans coolers. my quest to keep it cool should be greatly helped out by this. my question to you guys is how i should hook it up. i can make it a pusher or a puller. which should i do? i plan on putting it in front of my auxilary coolers and the radiator behind them. i'd like to have a switch to tell it to come on when i want it to as well as the thermostat too. i think i can splice the sensor into the sender for the trans temp gauge. is my thinking correct here? any help in how you guys have installed these would be awesome.

I would install as a "puller".

You won't be able to use the sender for the trans temp gauge, it is a variable resistance sensor and won't trigger an on/off event without some serious electronics.

Best bet is to get a thermostatic switch, Summit sells them, for just this purpose.

V8BoatBuilder said:
You won't be able to use the sender for the trans temp gauge, it is a variable resistance sensor and won't trigger an on/off event without some serious electronics.

Best bet is to get a thermostatic switch, Summit sells them, for just this purpose.

i'm thinking the kit that i bought might come with one. it doesnt list it but it does say everything is included. if not i can always get one later. if it doesnt i'm gonna wire it to a switch in my switch panel to turn it on when i want. i this way i can control it. i'm not sure how i would wire it with a thermostat and a swith anyway. i'm stiull trying to figure out how to wire a 2nd battery in my rear cargo area for my system. i'm not too good with electronics but i've always managed to think about it and figure it out.

any input you guys have would be appreciated as well. i think its gonna be a tight fit in front of the radiator and coolers anyway. i'm gonna have to start looking for pictures to help me, the install will be in a few weeks when i go home next.

Back