• Register Today It's free!

Trans Fluid Age

Blackhawkxx

Reaction score
City, State
S.W. Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer XLT 4.0
I'm thinking of changing the trans fluid and filter in my 08 4.0 and I have five or six quarts of Mercon V left over when I did my 99 Ranger about 15 years ago. Do you think that there is any issue using oil that has been around that long? Will 5 qts. do and pan drop and is the pan gasket reusable or should I replace it as it cost almost us much as the filter. Thanks.
Trans Oil, Front.jpg
IMG_20200823_191306636.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm thinking of changing the trans fluid and filter in my 08 4.0 and I have five or six quarts of Mercon V left over when I did my 99 Ranger about 15 years ago. Do you think that there is any issue using oil that has been around that long? Will 5 qts. do and pan drop and is the pan gasket reusable or should I replace it as it cost almost us much as the filter. Thanks.View attachment 320516View attachment 320517

The short answer is yes. Some say discard the oil/fluid after 2 years while others say it's good for forever in storage*. The * is for if it was properly stored (cool, dry place). If you open it and it still has a bright red color, you're probably good to go. If it has a dark red color, you'd want some new stuff. As far as the gasket is concerned, these 5R55S transmissions have reusable pan gaskets. Just take a look at yours to make sure that the rubber is free of cracks and nicks before reinstalling.

Thanks. I kind of hate to throw away five unopened quarts of oil and then have to buy five more. I'll do the look and sniff test.

One more question, how many quarts do I need for a pan drop?

One more question, how many quarts do I need for a pan drop?
At least 5, I just did mine and i pumped in 6 1/4 quarts before it started to leak through the adapter, about a quart came back out. I initially did 5 quarts but when I pulled the adapater nothing came out.

Just as a follow up, I did the pan drop tonight, it was the first time for me for this vehicle, it has 98K miles on it. It had been changed before because someone put sealer on the gasket. I took one photo of the pan before wiping it out and the other is the paper towel I used to wipe off the magnet. Does it all look normal? I put 6 qts back in. One thing I learned, I didn't have it high enough and I'm getting too old for this stuff.
IMG_20200903_191355586_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200903_205245213_HDR.jpg

Back