Trans. Fluid Change; what do I need? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trans. Fluid Change; what do I need?

Forder

Reaction score
City, State
West Point, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT, '05 Altima 3.5
It's been about 40-50k since my last fluid change so I'm going to try to do it today. It's got 200+ k on it right now, hah.. so I'm trying to milk it for all it's worth, heh. I got 6 quarts of ATF yesterday and I need to get a filter for the trans too. I got a Napa store nearby I get parts from so I looked this up. Is this all I need? That doesn't look much like a filter, but I've never taken the pan off my tranny, so I'm not sure. Thanks for the help!

Edit: Oh, and btw I did a search on this and didn't find anything (although I KNOW this isn't the first thread for this) about the trans filter kits. I searched for a few different things.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You are correct, its not really a filter.. More of a screen.

There is a "microfelt" (I think thats what they call it) filter that you can use, but I can't remember where to get it.. at one time WIX was re-packing them, but I read recently that they don't. There were some threads about it here.

Also, look into the external trans filters. There are a few threads on that.. You use a PH8a (equivalent), which is what you already use for your oil filter, to filter the trans fluid.

One thing I would add though, if you can, is a drain plug.. It makes changing the fluid so much easier.. and if you use an external filter you don't have to drop the pan near as often as the external filter will do the filtering for you..

~Mark

Cool, thanks a lot Mark.

Yeah, I found this thread. It seems Motorcraft is the only supplier of thie Microfelt filters now. But that filter doesn't seem to be at all the same size/shape as the "filter" in that kit. So where does it go? I've got a Haynes manual and it amazingly doesn't cover tranny fluid/filter maintenance at all. I'm actually about to go pick up the kit now and drop the pan, hopefully I'll be able to figure everything out once I actually see in there.

I actually found some threads how to install the drain plug too and I would definitely want to, but I don't even have a drill to do it with right now and would be afraid of screwing it up, heh.

I might be interested in doing the external filter depending on how hard it is to install and how much it's worth it. Would you mind pointing me in the right direction or showing a thread on it?

Thanks again!

The filter just bolts to the bottom of the valve body.. and The pic you have in that previous link doesn't look familiar, but I haven't been in an a4ld in so long that I could just be confused..

As for the aux/secondary transmission filter..

This will be a good/long read..

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34136&highlight=external+transmission+filter

All your doing is cutting the transmission lines (hard lines) that go to the radiator and routing it through the filter first.. Just use a tubing cutter, and I would recomend a compression fitting to hose barb adapter to go from the hard lines to the rubber lines your going to add.

~Mark

Thanks again, Mark ;).

I just got done switching the filters and fluid. It was easier than I thought it would be. I thought I'd make a huge mess taking the pan off (I still did a little), but I was able to position my oil catcher/pan under it so it caught it all still. The old fluid was definitely past due; it was really dark red and kinda had that burnt smell to it.

It only took four quarts after I put it back together though. I figured it'd take at least five. That normal? I drove it around the mountain here for 45 mins and it shifts perfect every time :D.

I still make a mess and I have a drain plug.. :)

I can't comment on how much you use in a pan fluid change as its been a long time since I changed it on an a4ld (we have the 700r4 conversion).

I know there has to be a thread or two around here with a4ld pan capacity or fluid change capacity etc...

Since it was dark/smelly, I'd change the fluid again on the next or 2nd oil change... (e.g. earlier than normal)..

Keep in mind though, any change, whether it be fluid change, adding a filter etc could be the last thing you do to the trans.. Once its been neglected it doesn't like being taken care of.. course leaving it neglected isn't good for it either.

~Mark

Back