Trans Fluid Drain / Change / Replace 2000 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trans Fluid Drain / Change / Replace 2000 Explorer

BTR

Reaction score
City, State
MARIETTA, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4DR 2WD
I want to drain out 1-2 quarts of transmission fluid, and replace it with new fluid. However, I do not want to drop the transmission pan. And, I do not own an extraction pump. I believe my best option is to disconnect one of the flexible rubber hoses going to the transmission cooler (in front of the radiator). I have two questions: (1) Without running the engine, and with the hose disconnected, will I be able to get 1-2 quarts to come out? (2) Will draining fluid from this hose cause any problems such as air locks, etc? After draining 1-2 quarts, I plan to add 1-2 quarts of new fluid before starting the engine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What you want to do is a waste of time, do yourself a favor and let sleeping dogs lie.

I'm curious. Why do you recommend I leave it alone? Thanks.

Just disconnecting the trans lines will not drain enough fluid to do anything. Also, just draining a quart or two won't help. To do it right, you need to drain the torque convertor, lots of contaminates in there. Sometimes, the oil change places will to a trans flush for cheap.

What you want to do is a waste of time, do yourself a favor and let sleeping dogs lie.

That's not really correct information, to be clear. It's my understanding the capacity is about 10 qts. So draining and replacing 2 qts is "freshening" up about 20% of the fluid. Done repeatedly and consistently a constant source of fresh fluid is introduced, and some drained with the older fluids. It takes about 10 times to replace most of the fluid, which would be about 20 qts. Over time, say every oil change, one would have really fresh fluid in the system. Yes, some wasted good fluid too. But not matter how you slice it any type of drain/fill is going to waste some fresh fluids and there's not a good way to get around it...

Hi friend, just a suggestion, you can get drain plug kits you can install on your pan. Do this one time and it makes all future fluid changes a lot easier and less messy.

Get one of these ...they run $8 - $10 bucks... siphon a few quarts out of your filler tube... at least on my Jeep GC I was able to do that.
What you're doing is good...changing out a few old quarts for new...blending in new fresh, until getting around to drain and filter change. You don't want to FLUSH out your older tranny as that will create seal eaks - forcing a rebuild.
HAND SIPHON / PUMP
OOPS...JUST NOTICED OP WAS FROM JULY 2...WILL LEAVE THIS ANYWAY....
HAND PUMP PIC.jpeg

Agreed, just spend a few dollars on a pump. Way easier and less chance of a leak later. I’d replace at least 3-4 quarts though.

Back