Trans Fluid Removal

BTR

Reaction score
City, State
MARIETTA, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4DR 2WD
2000 Explorer XLT 4.0L V6 SOHC Automatic Transmission

I have an electric vacuum pump. I plan to stick a suction hose down the transmission dipstick tube and vacuum out as much transmission fluid as possible.

What can I do to maximize the amount of fluid I'm able to suck out?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2000 Explorer XLT 4.0L V6 SOHC Automatic Transmission

I have an electric vacuum pump. I plan to stick a suction hose down the transmission dipstick tube and vacuum out as much transmission fluid as possible.

What can I do to maximize the amount of fluid I'm able to suck out?

No matter what you do, a large amount will remain in the torque converter. Some have a drain plug, some do not. The hose you insert will "bottom out" on top of some internal part, perhaps the valve body, unless the dipstick tube enters into the oil pan, like in the old days.

Converter likely contains a gallon, or more. If you "suck out" a gallon, you will have nearly 1/2 of it. What's the point of doing that? imp

The transmission does't have a drain plug. If it did, I'd remove the plug and drain as much fluid as possible.

Well, it's not the perfect solution, but I figure replacing some of the fluid is better than not replacing any of the fluid. I can't afford to use a repair shop, so I do the best I can by myself. Of course I'd like to have my transmission completely serviced by a professional technician... who wouldn't?

When I did the trans service last time on our 99 Sport w/4.0 SOHC all I had to do was unbolt the front driveshaft at the differential & swing it out of the way & then the trans pan was able to be removed so I could replace the filter & clean the trans pan also.

Changing trans fluid w/out changing the filter and cleaning the pan doesn't make much sense. Depending on how many miles you have, a full flush can be a dangerous thing to do. I recently changed the oil, cleaned the pan and magnet, installed a new filter (and I added a drain plug in case I ever want to drain the pan again) in my 2WD '01 ST w/184,000 miles on what appeared to be the original trans fluid and filter. I figured doing 1/2 the fluid was a reasonably safe option. Disconnect the drive shaft if it's in the way.

It's a messy-ass job to drop the pan, but it's not hard to do. Using your vacuum pump to suck out as much fluid as possible through the dipstick tube first will make the job much less messy and you'll get most of the fluid out of the pan (around 4-4.5 quarts, assuming you're near the full mark to start with). The dipstick tube allows access to the very bottom of the trans pan and if you have the truck leaning a degree or two to the passenger side and level you'll get 99% of the fluid out.

Back