• Register Today It's free!

Trans Issue 4r55??

freakaftr8

Reaction score
City, State
Folsom, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Sport
Hey guys, im new here, and I got a problem, I bought this 95 Explorer Sport automatic electronic overdrive and It doesn't have reverse, if you put it in, when cold and you rev the motor, it will slowly move, when hot, barely, unless you rev the motor to like 4000 rpm or more, then the OD light flashes at me and if im lucky the truck will slowly inch it's way backward in surges. I can drive it around all day in forward, no problems and OD works great, I could drive it a hundred miles a day. The truck does have 171,000 miles on it, but im not sure if there might be a seal failure here or a solenoid? It just seems that the trans works so well in forward gears to have burnt up clutches, any input would be greatly appreciated. And has anyone else ever had this prob? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like its time for a rebuild.... take it to a trans shop to ahve the light diagnosed... normally by the time the od light flashes, its already too late to fix it....

Well, you have a number of options.. not all of which mean a rebuild. Lets talk about the rebuild options first. Reverse clutch. It could be leaking, or damaged. Only way to fix is to remove the trannie. At 177K. REBUILD.

Now the lesser evils. All Valve body related. Screws ou of torque spec (not likely), gasket damaged or mislocated (even lower probability) Separator plate damaged (low) 1-2 shift valve (bore 203) shift valve (bore 204) or reverse modulator valve (bore 205) damaged, or stuck (VERY HIGH PROBABILITY). Also possible damage to low reverse servo seal.

Me, without more, I'd invest in a rebuilt valve body, new gaskets and replace the low reverse seal. ALL doable without taking the transmission out of the Explorer!

That said, before I did I'd want to see the line pressures in reverse. THAT might help tell us if there is a bad leak (which could be servo (good, relatively speaking) OR clutch (bad in any language) so I'd still do the above).

ps. at 177K you got a good life from this trannie, but do not automatically assume it might not give you a little more with the right attention to what is wrong short of s rebuild. But if it needs to be pulled for ANY reason.... rebuild it. I have 213K on my 92 A4LD (the little brother of the 4R55E).

Wow!

That sounds like the right track! I think I should pull the pan this weekend, I have a friend in the tranny business in Placerville who can order me the valve body kit. Thanks for the help!

As far as that goes, I also have a 91 Explorer, 5 speed, I was going to brag that it has 321,917 Orig miles, orig tranny, orig engine, never had many probs, except starter, twice. and 4 clutch jobs. But the tranny exploded on me today as well, lost first and banging crunching sound in 2,3,4,5 and R. :mad: Oh well, time for a new M5R1. Hehe, id like to add that i have done what not many explorer owners would dare to do to thier trucks, This thing is, (was) industructable. Driven in 6 feet of water (to the point where the Engine light comes on and misses like a mutha with so muchsteam, you couldnt see out the window), Jumped 4 feet up in the air, several times, driven 50,000 miles w/o a filter, (oops), mud and puddles taken at 50+ MPH, towed 5000 LBS 5000 miles, towed many cars up the Grapevine, from Texas to Cali, Buried to the doors in mud, (2 F350's and a Bronco to pull my a$$ out, pulled out a Brand new F350 Superduty Diesel crew cab out of 3 feet of sloppy red mud in El Dorado County, and the usual Tug-o-war with innocent front wheel peeler p.o.s cars we pick up for 200 bucks out in the fields. This truck had been abused, and kept up with me, I think it deserves a medal for lasting as long as it did, well, it will be resurected with a new trans!!

And Jimabena74.. that is ONE beautiful little girl. Love and live every moment. My youngest of 2 daughters just graduated from HS last night, and it seems like yesterday she was at that stage. Time passes quickly, cherish every moment as a father. (ok sorry I hijacked the theard, so shoot me!)

Back