Trans issue - anyone else? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trans issue - anyone else?

mtz

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
12 explorer
Ok im not having good luck with my x any longer. Now it seems that the trans jerks or cant shift smooth when im braking from 40mph, getting ready to turn, speed drops to around 20mph, step on the accelerator to complete a turn and the thing just jerks something fearsome. I dont know if its a trans problem physical or software but the shift is very hard. Doesnt even happen on a turn, now it happens driving straightline as soon as i start slowing down and then i have to accelerate up, bam the jerk happens.

Anyone else have this happen? Any clues to what you think may be going on? Taking it to the dealer next week and theyll probably ask me for a test drive because the tech wont find anything wrong.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have seen a TSB posted here that might cover the issue you are experiencing. Check out the TSB sticky at the top of the page.

I have seen a TSB posted here that might cover the issue you are experiencing. Check out the TSB sticky at the top of the page.

I took a look at the TSBs only problem is mine is a 2012 Explorer built aug/11. The issue the TSB describes does sound very familiar to my experience though. I wonder what the dealer would say?

I took a look at the TSBs only problem is mine is a 2012 Explorer built aug/11. The issue the TSB describes does sound very familiar to my experience though. I wonder what the dealer would say?
Have you disconnected the battery recently? The Explorer has an 'Adaptive Learning' system that requires 'relearning' after the battery is disconnected.

Peter

Have you disconnected the battery recently? The Explorer has an 'Adaptive Learning' system that requires 'relearning' after the battery is disconnected.

Peter

no, i haven't. would you suggest i do this or the dealer?

no, i haven't. would you suggest i do this or the dealer?
Since you haven't disconnected the battery, it sounds like your problem is not related to the "Adaptive Leaning" process. I would follow through with taking it to the dealer. Perhaps some of the later models may still have the same problem.

Peter

... cant **** smooth when im braking from 40mph,

I've had that problem before also, increasing your fiber intake will certainly help in smoothing out your ****.:D

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtz
... cant **** smooth when im braking from 40mph,

I've had that problem before also, increasing your fiber intake will certainly help in smoothing out your ****.:D
Don't know how I missed that!:D:D:D:D You've made my week.

Peter

LOL, I missed it totally! Time to get the eyes checked.

Thanks for the laughs!
Humor aside, I have experience hard shiFting on two occasion my '12 Explorer. Both times this occurred when I accelerated after coasting prior to making a turn. When I tried to duplicate the problem, I could not. Coincidently, my truck was build in Aug '11.

Thanks for the laughs!
Humor aside, I have experience hard shiFting on two occasion my '12 Explorer. Both times this occurred when I accelerated after coasting prior to making a turn. When I tried to duplicate the problem, I could not. Coincidently, my truck was build in Aug '11.

Interesting gng to the dealer next week to see what they can do to make this go away. Also the a pillar tsb, the rain roof ping tsb and the dashboard pop sounds. Should be interesting

Interesting gng to the dealer next week to see what they can do to make this go away. Also the a pillar tsb, the rain roof ping tsb and the dashboard pop sounds. Should be interesting
mtz - good luck with getting these TSBs fixed. My Explorer has the pillar rattle, and probably the rain ping too, but I haven't tried to have these fixed yet. I'm more concerned about vibration my explorer has at highways speeds 60-70 mph. This vibration is much like an out-of-balance tire or wheel, but my Ford mechanic says that it is something else. Unfortunately, the manager says they've checked everything Ford has recommended to check, so they have to declare my Explorer's vibration is normal for this vehicle. I'm curious if your Explorer has this normal vibration too?

isnt that the usual dealer fix

if they cant find or fix it, then it is normal operations,, lol

isnt that the usual dealer fix

if they cant find or fix it, then it is normal operations,, lol
Sad but true. The issue I have is the relationship between Ford and the dealer. The dealer won't do any additional troubleshooting unless Ford authorizes it otherwise the dealer doesn't get paid. Further, when dealer enters their findings into Ford's tracking system they report they didn't find anything wrong. Of course this gets interpreted as the vehicle must be within specs.

I am taking in my 11 ex tomorrow for an oil change/tire rotation and am having them check out the trans for this exact same issue. Shifts so hard sometimes I half expect to see the trans laying in the road behind me afterwards. Of course I can never seem to make it do it, so I'm sure the dealer won't be able to either. We'll see how it goes tomorrow.

I am taking in my 11 ex tomorrow for an oil change/tire rotation and am having them check out the trans for this exact same issue. Shifts so hard sometimes I half expect to see the trans laying in the road behind me afterwards. Of course I can never seem to make it do it, so I'm sure the dealer won't be able to either. We'll see how it goes tomorrow.

yup, exactly as you described it. if this doesnt get fixed and keeps happening its enough to probably have me get rid of it.

I had it happen once while driving straight, not going around a corner. Accelerating after coasting....It was such a hard shift that I first looked behind me because I thought someone rear ended me again. It actually scared the crap out of me when it happened. Has not happened since, and I can not duplicate it.

Hey everyone,

I want to reach out and offer to lend a hand. I can help by forwarding the details to the Customer Service Manager in your region. For me to do that, please send a PM with your contact information, approximate mileage, dealer name/state, and VIN.

Cory

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The hard shift happened to me again Saturday when I was accelerating after coasting at around 20-25mph. This is the third time in the 5-6 month of ownership. It freaked my wife out. She was looking back to see if we left anything behind on the road. This morning I sent a PM to Cory earlier so hopefully he can escalate this up the Customer Service chain and get some attention.

mtz & olaverty - did you get to take your vehicles in for service? If so, what did the dealer think?

Back