• Register Today It's free!

Trans pan problem

spitfiresk822

Reaction score
City, State
Rockville, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
Alright, well today I finally got around to dropping my trans pan to install a B and M drain plug so I can finally install my trans temp gauge. Dropped the pan, changed the filter, and went to drill my hole. Well for some reason when the drill bit finally got through, it grabbed and tore the pan a little. So the hole was just a little bit bigger than a 1/2 inch but wasn't a perfect circle. To make a long story short, filed it a little, got the drain plug in, and was hoping that the plastic o ring type thing that came with the drain plug would seal it, I was wrong. So before hunting for a new trans pan, I decided to try some JB weld on just the bolt part of the drain plug and said screw the nut.
Does anybody know:
1. where I can get a new drain pan, stock or something with a drain plug?
2. do u thing the JB will hold up to tranny temps and pressure, especially without the nut?

Any help would be appreciated as my X is currently out of commision, I'm waiting for the JB to dry to give it a shot.
Thanks again:usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

so far so good

Appreciate the replies guys. Well I let the JB weld dry for 15 hours and this afternoon threw the pan up, and filled it with fluid, so far so good. I'm wiring up the temp gauge now and I'm hopin that JB weld doesn't give up as I'm goin 65 mph on the highway. Thanks again

I would keep a close eye on it over time, not sure how epoxy satnds up to oil over time. My plug leaked a bit when installed. Next time I had the pan off I brazed it on. No more leaks.

Just got done test driving it. Over about a 15 minute test drive with about ten minutes of warming up/checking fluid, it got up to 160 degrees. That sounds about right, a lil later I'll drive it some more and see what it gets too. It took 7 quarts to get the dipstick right, but it drained all night. I keep checking the fluid and checking around that bolt for leaks. Ebay has a pan that comes with a drain plug mounted on the side and holds an extra 3 quarts, but it says some 4.0 owners have had problems clearing the cat. Has anybody tried any aftermarket drain pans that hold more than stock?
Thanks for everyones help
Joey

Hello fellow Marylander - I'm just ~10 minutes north of you!

Maybe next time, if it leaks, try some RTV.
Permatex-82080-rw-53242-63631.jpg

not too bad of an idea there IZ. Germantown huh, I'm up there at the wally mart at least once a week. Do you do any wheelin with your x?

IZ you know anywhere to go wheelin around here? I mostly just make a trip to wv.
Also, I'm wondering if this JB weld this is gonna be temporary or if it's gonne hold up, so my question is has anybody ever used JB weld to do anything like what I did? I'm concerned about the heat of the atf and the pressure overtiming cracking it and causing it to leak.
thanks again

There is nowhere really to go off roading around here. We usually head to Rausch Creek up in PA:
http://www.rauschcreekoffroadpark.org

As for the JB weld, I wouldnt worry about it. If it leaks, then RTV it up.

I'm just worried about goin up 270 and look in my rearview and see a line of tranny fluid.
I've heard of Raush Creek, never been though. one good thing about montgomery county is we got the icc sites:thumbsup: If there gonna tear up our county, we got the right to help.

Also, when I dropped the pan, I noticed in one of the corners there was like a pile of grease. but a perfect rectangle with black and white lines. I left it in there... Does anybody know what that stuff is?

That rectangle is the magnet for trapping metalic stuff - and the grease is actually the 'sludge' that develops as gear teeth mesh against each other over miles and miles. Next time you drop the pan, wipe the sludge off with paper towel (wear gloves, always whenever dealing with vehicle fluids).

Back